2006-2011 Toyota Various Models Takata Air Bag Recall G0P

OishiiJPN

Staff member
i-dDt9q9M-M.jpg

Recall Letter

You can check the status of any Recall on your Toyota here.

Subject: Safety Recall G0P
Multiple Models and Model Years Takata Front Passenger Airbag Inflator

Background:
On May 4, 2016, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) announced an expansion of the Takata Airbag Inflator Recalls. This announcement explained that Takata will, over time, recall additional specific front airbag inflators manufactured with phase-stabilized ammonium nitrate (PSAN) propellant that does not contain a material called a “desiccant”. This expansion impacts Toyota and multiple other automotive manufacturers using specific Takata frontal airbag inflators.

On May 16, 2016, Takata filed the first of multiple Defect Information Reports (DIRs) with NHTSA to address the first phase of this expansion.

On May 23, 2016, Toyota filed a Defect Information Report (DIR) with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) identifying the vehicles involved in the first phase of the Takata recall and informing the agency of our intent to conduct a voluntary Safety Recall on the vehicles described below:

• 2006 – 2011 Yaris Hatchback
• 2007 – 2011 Yaris Sedan
• 2008 – 2011 Scion xB
• 2009 – 2011 Corolla
• 2009 – 2011 Matrix
• 2010 – 2011 4Runner
• 2011 Sienna

Condition:

The subject vehicles are equipped with front passenger airbag inflators produced by Takata. According to Takata, the propellant in these inflators may degrade after prolonged exposure to high absolute humidity and fluctuating high temperatures. Degraded propellant can cause inflator rupture during airbag deployment. In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the airbag cushion material, striking the vehicle occupants, and result in serious injury or death.

Remedy:

Toyota has sufficient parts to begin a phased implementation of the remedy. The remedy, when available, will consist of the replacement of the airbag inflator or the airbag assembly, depending on the vehicle model. Refer to the following table for anticipated remedy launch timing.

Covered Vehicles:
This Safety Recall covers the first phase of Zone A. There are approximately 998,500 Toyota and Scion vehicles in this Safety Recall, included in that are approximately 94,300 vehicles in Puerto Rico.

Questions and Answers:

WHAT ARE THE TAKATA AIRBAG RECALLS G0P & G0R?
The U.S. automotive industry is facing the largest safety recall in its history. On May 4, 2016, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) announced an expansion of the industry-wide Takata Airbag Inflator Recalls. This announcement explained that Takata will, in five (5) phases across three (3) geographical zones, recall additional vehicles between May 2016 and the end of 2019. These vehicles contain Takata front airbag inflators that were manufactured without a “desiccant”. Desiccant material is a chemical drying agent that absorbs moisture. For the affected Toyota & Scion vehicles, this recall only includes certain front passenger airbag inflators. Driver airbag inflators are not included.

On May 23, 2016, Toyota filed a Defect Information Report (DIR) with NHTSA identifying the vehicles involved in Phase 1 of the expanded Takata recall. Toyota informed the agency of its intent to conduct a voluntary Safety Recall on these vehicles. G0P and G0R Phase 1 vehicles included are also zone dependent. As a result, some of the same G0P and G0R Phase 1 model/model year vehicles may also be included in later phases in other geographic zones. Vehicles involved in Phase 1 are listed under designation G0P or G0R based on where the vehicle is operated or has been registered. Please refer to the phase / zone charts below for further information.

WHY ARE THERE G0P & G0R PHASES AND ZONES? WHAT ARE THEY?
Based on multiple independent investigations and NHTSA’s independent expert, NHTSA has concluded that the non-desiccated frontal Takata airbag inflators do not pose an unreasonable risk to safety until they reach a certain level of propellant degradation after long-term exposure to environmental moisture and fluctuating high temperatures.

NHTSA and Takata are prioritizing these phased current and future recalls in three geographic zones based on temperature fluctuations and humidity and the exposure time required under those environmental conditions to degrade the propellant to the point where it poses an unreasonable risk to safety; depending on the zone, time until unsafe propellant degradation may occur is projected at between 6 and 20 years. According to NHTSA’s current order, inflators in the vehicles affected by this expansion will be recalled by the end of 2019.

ZONE A: G0P
Remedy Now Available: These states and U.S. territories have been identified as having high temperature cycling and humidity. Time in service until significant propellant degradation may occur is projected at between 6-9 years.

ZONE B: G0R (Interim G1R): These states have been identified as having moderate temperature cycling and humidity: Time in service until significant propellant degradation may occur is projected at between 10-15 years.

ZONE C: Future Projected Safety Recall: These states have been identified as having lower temperature cycling and humidity. Time in service until significant propellant degradation may occur is projected at between 15-20 years.

i-p5HLfg3-M.jpg

i-VcqJzPN-M.jpg

i-PfnhKgQ-M.jpg
Are other Vehicle Manufacturers (Competitors) also affected?
The Takata front airbag inflator recall impacts Toyota/Scion and multiple other automotive manufacturers. For consumers that may be cross shopping Toyota, we encourage Dealers to discuss this information with customers to compare affected Toyota vehicles with related vehicles from other automotive manufacturers. For additional information on the Takata Safety Recall and affected vehicles by other manufacturers, consumers can visit safercar.gov.

i-h6zht5x-M.jpg

*** Toyota has added Rental Days for customers with longer wait periods....

i-443Xms8-M.jpg

S

Susan W.

I was wondering if you could answer a question about these Takata airbags and the recall. My daughter, who is going away for College this Fall will be driving our 2009 Toyota Corolla. My husband and I aren't sure if we should let her drive it or buy her a new car.

We got Toyota's letter about the Recall and when we spoke to our Dealers Service Manager, he said that we could get a rental vehicle but he's not sure if it could leave the state (our daughter will be attending UCLA). Any advice on what we should do? Susan

OishiiJPN

Staff member
I apologize for the late reply. The terms of the rental agreement will be between you and the rental car company. Toyota recommends that Dealers use their TRAC program or use a Toyota vehicle from a rental company if TRAC isn't available.

Since this Recall is in it's "Interim" phase (this means that Toyota is still working on a Remedy) a rental car will be for quite a while. The Recall literature has op codes for up to 6 months of rental so I'm thinking it will be sometime before this gets going. You could use the rental yourself and let your daughter drive one of the other cars. This way the rental stays in state and should avoid this concern. HTH