2004-2010 Toyota Sienna Power Sliding Door Cable Warranty Extension ZTS

OishiiJPN

Staff member
SUBJECT: CUSTOMER SUPPORT PROGRAM (ZTS): WARRANTY ENHANCEMENT FOR REAR SLIDING DOOR LATCH ASSEMBLIES ON CERTAIN 2004-2010MY SIENNA VEHICLES AND POWER SLIDING DOOR CABLE ASSEMBLY ON CERTAIN 2004-2007MY SIENNA VEHICLES

Toyota has received reports of customer concerns regarding rear sliding doors that gradually become difficult to open or close in certain 2004-2010 model year Sienna vehicles. This is not a Recall, it is a Warranty Enhancement.

Although the Rear Sliding Door Latch Assemblies and the Power Sliding Door Cable Assembly are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first), Toyota is announcing a Customer Support Program (CSP) which will extend the warranty coverage for the following:

1) Rear Sliding Door Latch Assemblies - For certain 2004-2010MY Sienna vehicles equipped with a Manual or Power Sliding Door, the warranty coverage for the Rear Sliding Door Latch Assemblies will be extended to 9 years from the date-of-first-use or 120,000 miles (whichever occurs first).

2) Power Sliding Door Cable Assembly - For certain 2004-2007MY Sienna vehicles equipped with a Power Sliding Door, the warranty coverage for the Power Sliding Door Cable Assembly will be extended to 9 years from the date-of-first-use or 120,000 miles (whichever occurs first).

I

indestac

We were at 120,000 miles when our cable snapped on our left sliding door. There was no recall at that time. They said it would be $900.00 to fix. We could not afford that, nor could we drive around with a snapped wire cord sticking about 18 inches out of the side of our van, and also be unable to use the door. We had the door "fixed" by having the wire cut by our regular service station who does not overcharge us as Safro Toyota in Brookfield, WI always does. And Safro offered us no other options but the huge cost to fix, or to not use the door.

When we were at $130,000 miles, and I believe at that time, below the 9 year ownership mark, we got the recall notice. Great! Now we can have our door fixed. Hmmm...not so much, now you are "over" the miles and we will not honor it, was the reply. Nice. A defect, clearly not our fault, but yet Toyota will not honor it? When we went in with it the first time, WE WEREN'T over the milage.

We now continue to drive around with a door that doesn't work, has been a hazard for our children, and is a major inconvenience. We also continue to share our story, over and over, whenever we can, to let people know that they should NEVER buy a Toyota. My husband and I are both in professions where we meet a lot of people. You can be sure, this HUGE lack of customer service is a continued source of irritation, that we readily share. While we are just one family, who now will never, ever buy a Toyota again, (AND we were returning, loyal customers; my first car was a Toyota), word spreads. Friends, colleagues, family members, everyone we know, understands what happened here. Customer service, is important, and this was the poorest example of a company standing behind their product that I have ever experienced. What would honoring this warranty have meant to us? Everything. What would honoring this warranty mean to Toyota? A returning customer, who now has upcoming drivers, who would have remained loyal.

And this is not the first time this has happened to us with Toyota. From the beginning, we had issues with our steering freezing up. We paid to have that fixed, too, two or three times, in fact, and then, just like this, a notice came out. "Oh, that part is different than the one we fixed on your steering wheel." they said. OK, perhaps, but now this?!? Really?

People buy Toyotas for their longevity. We wanted a reliable, safe care for our family. We thought we had that with Toyota. Everyday, as I heave the broken door open, and then, often with hands, full, struggle to get it closed, I think of Toyota. We are a middle class family. To us, every. penny. counts. We buy things to last. We buy things with good ratings. We buy from companies with good reputations.

In light of all of the accidents and lawsuits Toyota has been involved in the last years, I would think fixing a door cable that they know was faulty, would be an easy fix, in comparison with fixing families who lost loved ones due to faulty acceleration.

Now we will have to have the airbags fixed, due to the next recall. I hardly feel like bothering. I am sure we will get there and they will tell us since no one died yet, they won't honor the warranty, because, well, that is just how Toyota rolls...

~An Unhappy Toyota Customer

P.S. I love how on the back of the letter, they give you a number to call if you are unhappy with the service regarding the defect. Yes, I called that number, and it got me nowhere. Right, thank you, Toyota for your concern. Much appreciated.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Email from George Stahanovich....

I purchased my first Toyota in 1972. I was a yellow Corona Sedan. My wife and I have stuck with this brand ever since. She drives a Camry, I drive a Sienna. We have NEVER experienced a major problem with Toyota vehicles.

Three weeks ago, my sliding door, on the driver's side locked up and would not open. After the initial warranty period I take my vehicles for service at a garage I have used for over 40 years.

When I took my Sienna there, they explained that it was a complex problem and I should go to a Toyota dealer which I did after looking up information on the internet and misreading the fact that the warranty was extended but not noticing that the limit was still 120,000 miles. I have higher milage, not from the job from which I am retired that was only 4 miles away, but from the fishing trips I took to the Rockies, New Brunswick and Gaspe, Canada, and weekend fishing excursion to the Salmon River in upstate N.Y.

I must note that we have no children, my use of the Sienna was typically a solo excursion or with one friend.For the past 5 or so years, my rear seat was out of the Sienna as was the second row seat behind the driver since I had no use for them as I rarely had a passenger.
I can see if a person with children or larger family would use the driver's side door extensively, or someone with high milage that takes short trips that may require the use of the errant door.

This is not the case with my Sienna. That door has had the least use of all the doors or the rear hatch.

I cannot understand why, when they extended the time period for the sliding door fix, they did not extend the milage limit past 120,000 miles. I just returned from a local Toyota dealer who gave me an estimate of $1,150 to correct the problem. I did not have them do this, since as I said before, that door was rarely used and I think I can live without it.

The mileage limit of 120,000 is irrational, and I am truly disturbed over that fact. Given that I have been a loyal Toyota customer exclusively for 43 years, I expected more from Toyota. I am quite angry and will begin to search other brands for my future vehicles.

TOYOTA, YOU MADE A BAD MISTAKE.

George Stahanovich
Piscataway, N.J.

P

Patrick OConnor

Dear Unhappy,

$900 from Safro is a bargain. Take it! I just received a $2500 quote from cross town rival Wilde Toyota. Oh yeah, plus $150 to "diagnose" the problem. We simply love our Sienna however this repair quote irritates me to no end and is making me rethink Toyota as I start thinking about a replacement for my 2004. I too now have a door that is non functional. I don't understand why since the cable snapped. Oh what a feeling!

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Dear Unhappy,

$900 from Safro is a bargain. Take it! I just received a $2500 quote from cross town rival Wilde Toyota. Oh yeah, plus $150 to "diagnose" the problem. We simply love our Sienna however this repair quote irritates me to no end and is making me rethink Toyota as I start thinking about a replacement for my 2004. I too now have a door that is non functional. I don't understand why since the cable snapped. Oh what a feeling!
I'm sorry to hear that this happened and for what its worth the newer Gen Sienna's have been relatively problem free.

kelleyb

Just had my van to toyota with this issue this morning. It's a 2010 with less than 120,000 miles and they said my vehicles vin does not qualify. How do I find out which ones are covered and which aren't? Why are they selective when it's the same issue. $1,500 to fix- NO thanks!

20yearsoftoyota

I have a similar experience with my 2008 Toyota Sienna with 60,000 miles. $1200-$1800 repair cost. Dealer could not explain which vins are covered and why, nor why the latch is covered in some vin's and the cable in others. Charged $120 just to determine if the repair was covered under the warranty extension. All of this after making me wait for 4 hours...

This is very poor communication and service from Toyota and absurd. After 20 years of owning Toyota's this changes the way I calculate the value of a Toyota.

Not too mention there will be an increasing number of Sienna's on the road with power doors that don't work.

Very disappointing.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Just had my van to toyota with this issue this morning. It's a 2010 with less than 120,000 miles and they said my vehicles vin does not qualify. How do I find out which ones are covered and which aren't? Why are they selective when it's the same issue. $1,500 to fix- NO thanks!
We would need to look at your Sienna's VIN number to determine if it falls within the criteria. You can PM it too me if you'd like me to check.

elon knoll

I have a 2009 sienna with the same power sliding door issue but Toyota only covers up to 2007 models for their faulty power door cable assembly even though the model design never changed from 07 to 09! I can tell you after this experience my next minivan will be a honda.

Gene Hall

My experience seems to echo everyone else'. I was just at the dealer today regarding the passenger sliding door on my 2009 Sienna. Estimate was $1360. Service rep stated coverage was based on the actual part number of the cable assembly. Mine was not covered. I was not charged a diagnosis fee which is good. Rep offered to have tech cut the cable to make it a manual only door. My dealer, Toyota of Naperville, accepts Costco's 15% service discount which would bring it down some. Like many of you, however, that's still a lot of money. In another repair action I had my Sienna in for 65K maintenance and the water pump was found to be leaking. Luckily I was still within the Certified Program coverage by several weeks and Toyota fixed it for free. It would have cost around $600. So I am sorta on the fence. I bought the Sienna because of its great reputation, was planning on keeping for a long time but recently have been looking at a new one. Now I am not so sure I want to do either.

MG

My experience seems to echo everyone else'. I was just at the dealer today regarding the passenger sliding door on my 2009 Sienna. Estimate was $1360. Service rep stated coverage was based on the actual part number of the cable assembly. Mine was not covered. I was not charged a diagnosis fee which is good. Rep offered to have tech cut the cable to make it a manual only door. My dealer, Toyota of Naperville, accepts Costco's 15% service discount which would bring it down some. Like many of you, however, that's still a lot of money. In another repair action I had my Sienna in for 65K maintenance and the water pump was found to be leaking. Luckily I was still within the Certified Program coverage by several weeks and Toyota fixed it for free. It would have cost around $600. So I am sorta on the fence. I bought the Sienna because of its great reputation, was planning on keeping for a long time but recently have been looking at a new one. Now I am not so sure I want to do either.
Gene, Thanks for taking the time to share your story, both good and bad parts.

nmshaikh

Hello oishiiJPN,

I am new to this Forum not sure how to send you PM. My sienna right side power sliding door cable broke yesterday. My van has 103000 miles and its 2006 year. Can you please let me know what are my options. I am going through some financial hardship but at the same time it is important to drive family in a safe vehicle.

Please let me know if anything can be done

Thanks,
Noman

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Hello oishiiJPN,

I am new to this Forum not sure how to send you PM. My sienna right side power sliding door cable broke yesterday. My van has 103000 miles and its 2006 year. Can you please let me know what are my options. I am going through some financial hardship but at the same time it is important to drive family in a safe vehicle.

Thanks,
Noman
It looks like you are in by mileage but out by the time limit. I don't think the Dealer will be able to help you unless Toyota gives them the approval. You would need to contact Toyota directly and see if they would be willing to help you with this.

Shawn canada

Hi Norman, i am sorry to hear you are having this problem. I have a 2012 Sienna and was at 56,000 miles when my drivers side door broke. My 13 year old daughter had to hold the door closed with her foot on the way to the dealer. Very unsafe and very dangerous. The quote was over $2000.00. I contacted Toyota Headquarters in California because like you, our finances are tight, and while we are still making payments on the car, was not expecting this to happen. The enhanced warranty does not cover newer models. It should and I hope it will before I an get rid of this car because my passenger sliding door is also acting up and I am very nervous about this. I do wish I read the reviews before I purchased this vehicle. I didnt feel a need to since I owned so many Toyotas in the past. With that being said, Headquarters was able to get the dealer reduced the price to $1725 and they paid the cost. The next day however, the dealer called me with an additional cost of a latch on the door that was also broken and unfortunately headquarters would not cover that since it was not included in the original quote. So the cost to us was $977.00. Glad it was not a $3000.00 bill for us, but still very upsetting. Try calling Toyota headquarters in California.800-331-4331. The lady that handled my case was super nice. And in the meantime, I hope more people continue to reply in so that Headquarters will see the need to extend that warranty clearly they are aware that the problem with these doors still exists even in the newer models. I've owned 6 Toyota's in my lifetime purchased from the same dealer over the years. This vehicle is my last one.

Good luck to you My friend and God Bless
Please come back and let us know your experience.

Jay

I had privilege of having both sliding door cables brake 1 week apart on my 2009 Sienna. Which is odd given that I used the passenger side sliding door 3 times more often than the driver's side. Lucky me! I just received a quote from the dealer to fix both sliding door cables for $3,500. The book value on the vehicle is $9,500. It seems a bit off kilter. So much for a family friendly vehicle.

T

Tim Allport

Hello oishiiJPN,

Thanks,
Noman