2005-2010 Toyota Tundra, Tacoma, Sequoia Frame Corrosion Resistant Compound LSC H0F

MG

***This LSC H0F applies only if your frame passes inspection and you live in the 20 Cold Climate States. To see your specific vehicles Frame Warranty extension, click on one of the following links:

2005-2010 Toyota Tacoma Rust Corrosion on Frame Condition Warranty Extension ZH6
2007-2008 Toyota Tundra Rust Corrosion on Frame Condition Warranty Extension ZH7
2005-2007 Toyota Sequoia Rust Corrosion on Frame Condition Warranty Extension ZH8
2008 Toyota Sequoia Rust Corrosion on Frame Condition Warranty Extension ZH9

Subject:
Limited Service Campaign H0F – Remedy Notice

2005 – 2010 Model Year Tacoma
2007 – 2008 Model Year Tundra
2005 – 2008 Model Year Sequoia
Frame Corrosion Resistant Compound (CRC) Application

Toyota will initiate a Limited Service Campaign (LSC H0F) to apply Corrosion Resistant Compound to key areas of
the vehicle’s frame for the following vehicles located in the 20 Cold Climate States1:
• 2005 to 2010 Tacoma
• 2007 to 2008 Tundra
• 2005 to 2008 Sequoia

On May 21, 2017, a settlement of claims in a class action lawsuit regarding frame corrosion was finally approved. This finally approved class action settlement includes inspection of the customer’s frame, and if the frame meets or exceeds the Rust Perforation Standard based on the Court-ordered inspection criteria, the frame will be replaced at no cost to the customer.

This settlement will also include CRC (Corrosion Resistant Compound) application. Toyota is currently preparing parts for CRC application process. When available, CRC application will only be available for vehicles registered in the Cold Climate States that pass frame inspection criteria, and did not:

• Previously have the frame replaced, if a Tacoma and/or:
• Previously had the frame sprayed with CRC under any previous campaign, if a Tacoma

Note: This campaign covers vehicles currently registered in the following Cold Climate States (together, “Cold Climate States”): District of Columbia (DC), CT, DE, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT, WI & WV.

Condition:
Toyota has received a number of reports regarding Frame Corrosion on 2005 – 2010 model year Tacoma vehicles, 2007-2008 Tundra vehicles, and 2005-2008 Sequoia vehicles. In these reports, customers have indicated that vehicles operated in specific cold climate areas with high road salt usage may exhibit more-than-normal corrosion to the vehicle’s frame. This condition is unrelated to and separate from normal surface rust which is commonly found on metallic surfaces after some years of usage and/or exposure to the environment.

Remedy:
Over the next few months, owners of the covered vehicles will receive a notification requesting them to bring their vehicles to an authorized participating Toyota dealership in the Cold Climate States. The dealership will inspect the condition of the vehicle’s frame. Based upon the results of the inspection, the dealership will do one of the following:

• If significant rust perforation is not found, the dealer will apply Corrosion-Resistant Compounds (CRC) to key areas of the vehicle’s frame at no charge to the owner, subject to certain requirements and limitations further discussed below.

• If significant rust perforation is found, the dealer will replace the vehicle’s frame at no charge to the owner,
under the applicable Warranty Enhancement Program (ZH6, ZH7, ZH8, or ZH9) if all conditions of the warranty enhancement are met.

Prior to the application of the CRC, the frame must be inspected and determined to not have significant rust corrosion based on the court-ordered rust perforation standard. If the frame does not pass the inspection criteria, see Warranty Enhancement Policy ZH6, ZH7, ZH8, or ZH9, depending on model and model year. Application of the CRC will be available until May 21, 2019. All CRC application must be performed and completed on or before the program expiration date, unless the customer brought their vehicle in for inspection on or before this date and the Toyota dealership has good cause for not performing and completing the CRC application before this date.

Owner Letter Mailing Date:
Toyota will begin to notify owners in early September 2017. Owner Letters will be combined with Warranty Enhancement Programs ZH6, ZH7, ZH8, or ZH9.

Remedy Procedures:
• This Limited Service Campaign is only applicable for participating dealers located in or near Cold
Climate States. District of Columbia (DC), CT, DE, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT, WI & WV.

• If the frame passes Toyota’s inspection criteria, refer to the CRC application Technical Instructions located
on TIS.

• If the frame does not pass Toyota’s inspection criteria, please refer to the frame replacement documents
located on TIS under ZH6, ZH7, ZH8, or ZH9.

• This Limited Service Campaign will be available until 05/21/2019, and is only available at an
authorized Toyota dealer.

Customer Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the condition?
On the subject vehicles, Toyota has received reports that certain vehicles operated in specific cold climate
areas (Cold Climate States) with high road salt usage may exhibit more-than-normal corrosion to the vehicle’s frame. Toyota investigated these reports and has determined that the frames in some vehicles may not have sufficient corrosion-resistant protection for use in these areas. This, combined with prolonged exposure to road salts and other environmental factors, may contribute to the development of more-than-normal rust in the frame of some vehicles. This condition is unrelated to and separate from normal surface rust which is commonly found on metallic surfaces after some years of usage and/or exposure to the environment.

What are the “Cold Climate States” with high road salt usage covered by this Limited Service Campaign (LSC)?
The following states and the District of Columbia are referred to as the “Cold Climate States”:
District of Columbia (DC), CT, DE, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT, WI,
WV

Why are some states contiguous to the Cold Climate States not included?
Only portions of the listed states may exhibit the cold climate and high road salt usage which
can cause this condition. To simplify the administration of this campaign and avoid confusion,
Toyota has elected to include the entire state rather than a portion.

What is Toyota offering and why?
On May 21, 2017, a settlement of the class action relating to Vehicle Frame Corrosion was finally approved
by the Court. As part of the class action settlement, Toyota will initiate a Warranty Enhancement Program
(WEP) to inspect affected vehicle’s frames, and, if necessary, replace the vehicle’s frame.

If the vehicle’s frame passes the inspection, and is registered in a Cold Climate State, the customer may be offered a Frame CRC application. This WEP will be available for 1 year from May 21, 2017 or 12 years from the vehicle’s Date of First Use (DOFU), whichever is longer. The CRC application will be offered for a period of two years from the date of court approval.

This Limited Service Campaign will be available until 05/21/2019, and is only available at an

What is Toyota going to do?
Toyota will send (in phases consistent with parts availability and repair capacity), starting in September 2017, an owner notification by first class mail advising owners to make an appointment with their authorized Toyota dealer to have their frame inspected.

If the owner experiences the condition described above, they should contact their local authorized Toyota
dealership for diagnosis. If the vehicle exhibits significant rust perforation based on specific inspection criteria, the dealer will replace the vehicle’s frame with a new one at NO CHARGE to the customer.

Which and how many vehicles are covered by this Limited Service Campaign?
There are approximately 260,800 vehicles covered by this Limited Service Campaign:

2005-2010 Tacoma 141,500
2007-2008 Tundra 79,800
2005-2008 Sequoia 39,500

What if the vehicle’s frame already exhibits excessive corrosion? Will Toyota perform the CRC application or will the vehicle be repaired?
Toyota will inspect the vehicle’s frame. If the frame passes specific Inspection Criteria, the CRC
will be applied to the frame. If the frame exhibits significant rust perforation (based upon the specific
inspection criteria), Toyota will replace the vehicle’s frame. The work will be performed at no
charge to the owner of the covered vehicles for a limited time.

How long will the repair take?
The repair takes approximately 6 hours, and the vehicle will be held overnight to allow time for the CRC to
cure. However, depending upon the dealer’s work schedule, it may be necessary to make the vehicle available
for a longer period of time.

What if I have additional questions or concerns?
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1888-270-9371 Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, Saturday 7:00 am to 4:30 pm Central Time.

Customers with additional questions or concerns may visit the settlement website at

www.toyotaframesettlement.com or may contact the Settlement Administrator at 1-800-481-7948.

Lewis

Staff member
I'm glad you posted this. I think we should come up with some tips and advice for these owners. I know from past frame issues some people were not happy with the outcome. I do know that the perforation (hole) in the frame has to be 10mm or larger in order for the frame to fail and get replaced. Also, once the frame is inspected and either passes or fails, the LSC is considered completed. Even if at a later date the frame would fail, then its too late since the inspection passed. There's no second chance.

J

Jere39

I just had my inspection completed, and the frame was deemed sound, so I had the CRC sprayed on. What isn't clear to me, is what level of cleaning was completed before the application. This is winter in PA, so the minor surface rust was doubtless sheathed in a patina of road salts. So, is the CRC just sprayed over that?

H

HONDO

I just had my inspection completed, and the frame was deemed sound, so I had the CRC sprayed on. What isn't clear to me, is what level of cleaning was completed before the application. This is winter in PA, so the minor surface rust was doubtless sheathed in a patina of road salts. So, is the CRC just sprayed over that?

Why don't you just ask the dealership that is doing it?

tracee79

I was unaware of the class action lawsuit on the rusty frames. My 12 yr period has run out. Am I still able to get the frame coated? Is it worth spraying over a rusty frame? Thank you.

C

Car doctor

Using hammer hit on the rusting area on the frame under driver seat will make a hole make sure it bigger than 10 mm. then you will get a new frame or if you talk to mechanic at the dealer who do frame inspection some of them will be glad to do it for you.I had seen they made the hole so it will fail frame inspections all of them on tacoma because they made money even on warranty.

MG

Using hammer hit on the rusting area on the frame under driver seat will make a hole make sure it bigger than 10 mm. then you will get a new frame or if you talk to mechanic at the dealer who do frame inspection some of them will be glad to do it for you.I had seen they made the hole so it will fail frame inspections all of them on tacoma because they made money even on warranty.
Be careful about this as it is fraud BUT... I have heard of it being done. Also, in this situation, it is not up to the Toyota Dealers to approve the frame replacement. The technician has to submit pictures of the affected area and then TAS approves the frame replacement.

Also, Also, be prepared to put some money into extra repairs that may be needed but not covered (Toyota does not pay for replacement of everything under the sun) as this is a great way to save some money on labor as they are taking it completely apart anyway.

N

nene101

WOW, and thank you. I am taking it in tomorrow to a second independent mechanic prior to taking it to a dealer. My original independent mechanic didn't find holes. I was hoping he would make one.

I will mention this to the mechanic tomorrow. I feel so helpless and your message came just in time. THANK YOU a million.

N

nene101

If you don't mind, I will let you know what happens tomorrow. I desperately need your input. thank you kindly again.

tracee79

WOW, and thank you. I am taking it in tomorrow to a second independent mechanic prior to taking it to a dealer. My original independent mechanic didn't find holes. I was hoping he would make one.

I will mention this to the mechanic tomorrow. I feel so helpless and your message came just in time. THANK YOU a million.

Sorry to confuse anyone. I was using my phone and used a different user name. I am super sorry.

tracee79

Yep, my indepandent mechanic found a hole on my frame. I will be going in next week. Am I supposed to wait to buy certain parts like ucas?

C

chris wescott

Own a 2007 Tundra. Most of the time, I lived in NH. Now I live in VA. Had an accident and my auto body shop commented on the significant amount of rust on frame. They were puzzled by it. I found that the extended warranty. My local dealership did a 2 hour inspection in November and said it didn't qualify for a new frame, but they would do the undercoat. We took it in for undercoat in January. Service advisor called us at 5pm on the day we brought it in to say that they had reached out to Toyota to see if they could get a new frame based on the rust the tech was trying to remove before the undercoat. She said we may not hear from her before Monday as it was a Friday at 5pm. On Tuesday morning the service advisor called to say that the vehicle was done. I asked why she didn't call us on Monday and she just said ,Sorry.
So now what? If my dealer thought the rust was so bad as to reach out to Toyota, what is my recourse? Is this frame safe? Should I continue to take it in for inspections? How much longer is the warranty extended or is the fix of applying undercoat the end of the road for me.

J

Joe Petersen

"If the vehicle’s frame passes the inspection, and is registered in a Cold Climate State, the customer may be offered a Frame CRC application. This WEP will be available for 1 year from May 21, 2017 or 12 years from the vehicle’s Date of First Use (DOFU), whichever is longer. The CRC application will be offered for a period of two years from the date of court approval.

This Limited Service Campaign will be available until 05/21/2019, and is only available at an
"

- So this says the campaign is available until 5/21/2019, but above that it says 1 year from May 21, 2017 which would be May 21,2018... which is it?? Also it says "or 12 years from date of first use whichever is longer, so if I bought a 2010 that would mean I would have until 2022 to capitalize on this program correct? Can someone please clarify because there are a lot of contradictions from OP.

J

Jim Wilgus

I just found out from my mechanic that my frame is rotting away quickly. What can I do about it?