2006-2008 Toyota Rav4 Center Exhaust Pipe Recall G0Y

OishiiJPN

Staff member
i-XZbBvMc-S.jpg

Recall Letter

You can check the status of any Recall on your Toyota here.

Subject: Special Service Campaign G0Y
2006 – 2008 Model Year RAV4 Center No.2 Exhaust Pipe Sub-Assembly (Muffler)

Condition:
Toyota has received reports that certain 2006 through 2008 Model Year RAV4 vehicles (equipped with a V6 (2GR) engine) operated in specific cold climate areas where high amounts of road salt are used (“Cold Climate States”) may exhibit more-than-normal corrosion to the vehicle’s Center No.2 Exhaust Pipe sub-assembly (muffler). Toyota investigated these reports and determined that this condition may lead to rust perforation in the muffler. This condition is unrelated to and separate from normal surface rust which is commonly found on metallic surfaces after some years of use and/or exposure to the environment.

The following states and the District of Columbia are covered by this campaign and will be known as the “Cold Climate States” under this campaign. CT, DE, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT, WI, and WV.

Remedy:
Any authorized Toyota dealer will inspect the condition of the covered vehicle’s muffler. Depending upon the results of the inspection, Toyota will perform one of the following remedies at NO CHARGE to the owner.

If it is determined that there is no rust perforation in the vehicle’s muffler, the dealer will install an Insulator Cover over the muffler.

If it is determined that there is rust perforation in the vehicle’s muffler, the dealer will replace the muffler with a newly designed one.

Covered Vehicles:
There are approximately 37,300 specific 2006 through 2008 Model Year RAV4 vehicles registered in the Cold Climate States that are covered under this Special Service Campaign.

Owner Letter Mailing Date:
Toyota will begin to notify owners in February 2017. A sample of the owner notification letter has been included for your reference.

K

K Wolfe

I had my muffler replaced at an independent shop yesterday because it was corroded. Then I got home and saw this recall notice in the mail!! Bad timing. I'm going to submit my information for reimbursement consideration as described in the recall notice. Can I do that online? The repair shop took some pictures of the old muffler this morning and it would be easier to submit those pictures online. Thanks.

Lewis

Staff member
I had my muffler replaced at an independent shop yesterday because it was corroded. Then I got home and saw this recall notice in the mail!! Bad timing. I'm going to submit my information for reimbursement consideration as described in the recall notice. Can I do that online? The repair shop took some pictures of the old muffler this morning and it would be easier to submit those pictures online. Thanks.
I'm not sure if Toyota has this online. Just follow what the letter says and you should be good. Let us know how it goes and how long it takes to get your check. Thanks!

K

K Wolfe

I'm not sure if Toyota has this online. Just follow what the letter says and you should be good. Let us know how it goes and how long it takes to get your check. Thanks!

Thanks Lewis, I'll let you know how it turns out.

markdc

My exhaust had rusted and was replaced in late 2014 at my own expense ($1800). I received the notice from Toyota, submitted the documentation, was then asked to provide a letter from the repair shop on their letterhead and proof of payment (credit card statements). Did all this and was still denied by letter this week. I will be following up but their handling of this defect doesn't make me inclined to buy another Toyota. And, I've had about three additional recalls in the last few years....

Lewis

Staff member
My exhaust had rusted and was replaced in late 2014 at my own expense ($1800). I received the notice from Toyota, submitted the documentation, was then asked to provide a letter from the repair shop on their letterhead and proof of payment (credit card statements). Did all this and was still denied by letter this week. I will be following up but their handling of this defect doesn't make me inclined to buy another Toyota. And, I've had about three additional recalls in the last few years....
That sounds like total crud... :mad:

C

ChrisM

Great I had a hole in my muffler a couple years ago and my shop had welded a part to save me some money it was about $250 at that time. I got the recall notice last month so took it to my dealer and they claimed they couldn't do the recall because of the welding so I submitted my paperwork etc... to Toyota for a refund but I also asked that the recall be done and my muffler is again loud so I suspect there is another problem with it. I will be so angry if they do not fix this properly and deny my refund. I am contemplating buying a new vehicle but no way will it be a Toyota if they continue to treat customers poorly.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Great I had a hole in my muffler a couple years ago and my shop had welded a part to save me some money it was about $250 at that time. I got the recall notice last month so took it to my dealer and they claimed they couldn't do the recall because of the welding so I submitted my paperwork etc... to Toyota for a refund but I also asked that the recall be done and my muffler is again loud so I suspect there is another problem with it. I will be so angry if they do not fix this properly and deny my refund. I am contemplating buying a new vehicle but no way will it be a Toyota if they continue to treat customers poorly.
ChrisM, I do know that Toyota will do one of two things, they will either reimburse you the cost of repair or they will repair it at the Toyota Dealer but they wont do both. I am with you on this so please let us know how this turns out. It will help other Rav4 Owners knowing what you know and experience with this process. Thanks for all you do.

S

Susan

I did all that was asked for the reimbursement of the muffler, called after 2 months, and was told that my case was dismissed for insufficient information. I went to the muffler shop, got a copy of my repair order, proof-of-payment and ownership information. Sent it all to the experience center for reimbursements. They told me that the muffler shop had to specifically what was wrong with the muffler and had to have my mileage on the repair order. This was NOT stated in the recall notice. I'm totally miffed with Toyota. Was ready to trade in next year for a new Rav4 but am now considering getting a Honda.

D

Dave 07 Rav4

We had a couple of huge holes in our muffler in 2015 (live in Michigan) and the Midas shop cut our the bad muffler and tailpipe, it was about $280 at that time. I got the recall notice last month and we keep excellent records so it was easy to submit all requested paperwork. Toyota has now rejected it because someone doesnt like the minimal 'diagnostic' information provided on the service order. "Repair facility diagnoses" which only stated customer indicates muffler is loud and the service attendance documented exhast leaking and needs muffler. After the sale service includes recalls, and it is really stupid. e a Toyota if they continue to treat customers pooly.
Seems quite obvious that the recall area that includes Michigan, 07 Rav4, loud muffler with holes in it, fits the service campaign. If Toyota wasnt going to fix the issue, why bother irritating so many customers?

K

K Wolfe

After a lot of back and forth with Toyota, they reimbursed me for the full cost of the repair. The process was painful - they repeatedly asked me for information that was in my original submittal, but Toyota did the right thing in the end and I am of course satisified with the outcome.

Lewis

Staff member
After a lot of back and forth with Toyota, they reimbursed me for the full cost of the repair. The process was painful - they repeatedly asked me for information that was in my original submittal, but Toyota did the right thing in the end and I am of course satisified with the outcome.
Any advise you would give to other RAV4 Owners that could help them avoid problems and navigate this reimbursement process?

K

K Wolfe

Any advise you would give to other RAV4 Owners that could help them avoid problems and navigate this reimbursement process?
I sent Toyota a fairly detailed submittal including a letter from the repair shop: copies of the repair order, receipt, and my registration; and pictures of the muffler. I also tried to stay polite in the multiple phone calls and emails. In my last call I did (politely) express my frustration with the process and that might have tipped the scales toward reimbursement although that's just a guess.

D

D Rec

Yes, the Toyota web site does have a place in the contact link to post the documentation. Most people are reporting that Toyota doesnt actually plan to cover 3rd party costs. They are rejecting applications asking for extreme documentation. For your case, very recent repair, you will need a written statement from the repair shop on their company letterhead stating the reason for the tail pipe and muffler replacement. Although this would be obvious to anyone replacing such parts, Toyota is making it difficult to limit the number of actual reimbursements.

C

ChrisM

ChrisM, I do know that Toyota will do one of two things, they will either reimburse you the cost of repair or they will repair it at the Toyota Dealer but they wont do both. I am with you on this so please let us know how this turns out. It will help other Rav4 Owners knowing what you know and experience with this process. Thanks for all you do.

Well they sent me a check for the repair but my muffler is again extremely loud it's ridiculous. I am going to try to fight for the proper repair listed in the recall be done on my vehicle. When I brought it to my shop a couple years ago they just had a repair weld done not a replacement. Can't wait to replace this crappy car.

G

GregS

Similar situation in Virginia. Vehicle failed inspection at a Toyota dealership due to leaking muffler. Repair estimate was over $1200. I used Gladin Automotive, a local independent shop who was able to find the replacement muffler and install. A couple weeks later I get the notice from Toyota. I collected the information listed in the notice and submitted. After more than a month I called back. Toyota requested additional information; the shop to prepared a more thorough explanation stating the obvious. I waited 40 days and called today. I was told my submission was under review but needed additional information from the shop. I asked for the specific language required to meet this exacting description of Cause, Condition and Remedy since my previous attempts were insufficient. The customer service representative placed me on hold. During that 20 minutes Toyota called the shop, talked to the owner/tech that did the work and were apparently satisfied that the claim (due to rust) was legitimate or I was going to remain persistent. I agree with others that Toyota is changing a positive into a negative experience by notifying customers of the issue, offering a reimbursement option but then either under explaining the specific documentation required or attempting to wear customers down by the process. Thanks Customer Service Rep for a job well done!

K

kmarsh

any idea why this recall is only for the v6 models and not the 2.4l engines? I'm from NH and am having the exact same problem but can't use the recall because I have a 2.4l model instead of the v6!

K

kgequitz

H

Hof

I had mine replaced a while ago and submitted the paperwork. Now they want me to send them a detailed summary of the problem and repair (and it needs to be on their letterhead). Thanks for making me jump through more hoops, Toyota!

OishiiJPN

Staff member
I had mine replaced a while ago and submitted the paperwork. Now they want me to send them a detailed summary of the problem and repair (and it needs to be on their letterhead). Thanks for making me jump through more hoops, Toyota!
Hof, we are trying to get together information about the best way to submit one of these claims with Toyota for other Owners to follow. If you could please keep us up to date on the process and what you are doing to accomplish this. Thanks!