2006-2012 Toyota Rav4 Rear Differential Warranty Extension LSC ZF4

Lewis

Staff member
Subject: Warranty Enhancement Program – ZF4
2006 – 2012 RAV4 4WD vehicles Extension of Warranty Coverage for Rear Differential Coupling Growl Noise

In our continuing efforts to help ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Warranty Enhancement Program to extend the warranty coverage for Rear Differential Coupling Growl Noise on 2006-2012 model year RAV4 4WD vehicles.

In some of these vehicles, Toyota has received some reports that the vehicle may exhibit a growl type noise from the rear differential coupling when driving due to contamination of the front bearing.

Although the Rear Differential Assembly is covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Powertrain Warranty for 5 years or 60,000 miles (whichever occurs first), we at Toyota care about our customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is now extending the warranty coverage for Rear Differential Coupling Growl Noise in the covered vehicles.

Owner Notification Letter Mailing Date:
The owner notification will commence in early January, 2015 and will be mailed over several months.

Warranty Enhancement Program Details:
This Warranty Enhancement Program provides a Primary and Secondary coverage to the vehicle’s “New Vehicle Limited Powertain Warranty” as it applies to the Rear Differential Assembly. The specific condition covered by this program is Rear Differential Coupling Growl Noise.

The Primary Coverage offers warranty enhancement until April 30, 2017, regardless of mileage.
• After the Primary Coverage, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 9 years from the date of first use, regardless of mileage.

Please note:
• This coverage is for warranty work performed at an authorized Toyota dealer only.
• Damage incurred from abuse, an accident, vandalism or non-warrantable causes are not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or this Warranty Enhancement Program.

There are approximately 670,000 Vehicles covered by this Warranty Enhancement Program.

Breezy63

Lewis,
I received the Warranty Enhancement notice last week (February 18, 2016). Unfortunately, I had the problem with the rear differential in January 2015 and Toyota Dealership noted on an invoice that the replacing coupler assembly to fix the noise I was hearing for $1700. The rear differential was also leaking oil....and it was noted on the invoice. I was a bit shocked by the fact that is wasn't covered, so I was not going to pay dealer labor charges if the vehicle is out of warranty. So, I bought the part at a discounted price from a Toyota Dealership and had my mechanic at my local shop put it in for $250, which is $400 cheaper than what Toyota wanted to do the job. Now, since this Warranty Enhancement is out, I did send in my receipts and other documentation to Toyota, but what are my chances of seeing any kind of "reimbursement" from Toyota since I had another shop install this failed rear differential coupler assembly last year, even with a Genuine Toyota Part?

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Lewis,
I received the Warranty Enhancement notice last week (February 18, 2016). Unfortunately, I had the problem with the rear differential in January 2015 and Toyota Dealership noted on an invoice that the replacing coupler assembly to fix the noise I was hearing for $1700. The rear differential was also leaking oil....and it was noted on the invoice. I was a bit shocked by the fact that is wasn't covered, so I was not going to pay dealer labor charges if the vehicle is out of warranty. So, I bought the part at a discounted price from a Toyota Dealership and had my mechanic at my local shop put it in for $250, which is $400 cheaper than what Toyota wanted to do the job. Now, since this Warranty Enhancement is out, I did send in my receipts and other documentation to Toyota, but what are my chances of seeing any kind of "reimbursement" from Toyota since I had another shop install this failed rear differential coupler assembly last year, even with a Genuine Toyota Part?
Not Lewis but I would think pretty good. Just follow the instructions Toyota sent you for reimbursement and stay in contact with them.
Then when all goes well (we hope :)) reply back here and let other Rav4 Owners know about your experience!

Breezy63

Thanks OishiiJPN! I have my "packet" of Invoices, receipts, etc. ready to go out in the mail to Toyota Customer Service. I will send it out certified, return receipt, so that I have record that I sent it. I will keep the site updated as to how I make out..good or bad. I tried to recoup my expenses late last year when I saw something related to Canada already fixing this problem, but USA Toyota turned me down FLAT. Hopefully, Toyota USA will step up this time. I keep my RAV4 in top running order and was not about to "wait" for Toyota to send out a recall or anything when it came to my rear differential. It was already leaking oil after making the growling noise, and it's documented on a Toyota work order, but I couldn't justify paying the labor charge Toyota wanted to fix it. It was bad enough paying $1,000 just for the coupler. My local mechanic gave me a break on labor to put it in. I am hoping for a good outcome!

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Thanks OishiiJPN! I have my "packet" of Invoices, receipts, etc. ready to go out in the mail to Toyota Customer Service. I will send it out certified, return receipt, so that I have record that I sent it. I will keep the site updated as to how I make out..good or bad. I tried to recoup my expenses late last year when I saw something related to Canada already fixing this problem, but USA Toyota turned me down FLAT. Hopefully, Toyota USA will step up this time. I keep my RAV4 in top running order and was not about to "wait" for Toyota to send out a recall or anything when it came to my rear differential. It was already leaking oil after making the growling noise, and it's documented on a Toyota work order, but I couldn't justify paying the labor charge Toyota wanted to fix it. It was bad enough paying $1,000 just for the coupler. My local mechanic gave me a break on labor to put it in. I am hoping for a good outcome!
Sounds like a plan! What was the Canadian version of the Rav4 warranty extension called? WAB 2190 Special Policy Adjustment

Breezy63

The document I found online was labeled Special Policy Adjustment (SPA Ref# 960). I think it referred only to Canadian Toyota RAV4's.

Breezy63

I just read the WAB 2190 link you sent and that is where I found some of my info. I was searching last year for info to get reimbursed and Toyota USA denied they had any issue and I even sent a huge packet of info related to this search and the Canadian SPA 960. Toyota USA called me after they received my packet of info (receipts included) and said I would not be reimbursed since it was not an issue in USA. One year later, suddenly it has become an issue and I am out $1200. I am praying when I send my receipts and letter, they will listen to me now. To me, $1200 is a lot of money for a car repair that they are now fixing at no cost when there is a problem. I have never tried to recoup anything from a car manufacturer, so I hope I am doing the right thing.

Breezy63

Hello again! Just wanted to update you on the response from Toyota regarding the rear differential issue I had with my 2008 RAV4. I sent all my documentation in to Toyota (part purchase, labor charge from auto service technician that installed part). I received a reimbursement case number and Toyota states that they will make every effort to evaluate and respond to me within 45 days. I received this e-mail response from Toyota on March 3, 2016. I will let you know as soon as I hear from them, but the good news is at least they are reviewing it this time, instead of turning me down flat. Here's hoping for a $1,200 refund for something they are now offering covered under a warranty enhancement! Have a Happy Easter and I will be back in touch as soon as I hear anything! Thanks for all that you folks do!!! It's good to have an outlet to be able to share issues and learn from others!;)

MG

Hello again! Just wanted to update you on the response from Toyota regarding the rear differential issue I had with my 2008 RAV4. I sent all my documentation in to Toyota (part purchase, labor charge from auto service technician that installed part). I received a reimbursement case number and Toyota states that they will make every effort to evaluate and respond to me within 45 days. I received this e-mail response from Toyota on March 3, 2016. I will let you know as soon as I hear from them, but the good news is at least they are reviewing it this time, instead of turning me down flat. Here's hoping for a $1,200 refund for something they are now offering covered under a warranty enhancement! Have a Happy Easter and I will be back in touch as soon as I hear anything! Thanks for all that you folks do!!! It's good to have an outlet to be able to share issues and learn from others!;)
Thank you for sharing and helping out other Toyota Owners. Please keep us updated.

Breezy63

Bad news....I received notification from Toyota USA that since the dealership wrote on the work order that my rear differential was "leaking" when I brought it in, and it didn't say it was "growling", they declined to reimburse me for the $1200.00 viscous coupler, even though others are being reimbursed for this SAME PART FAILURE. Word to the wise: be careful to make sure that your dealership service writer records the correct issue on your work order so that if Toyota does a recall/extended warranty, you are included in the deal. I asked for a review and because the work order did not use the word "growl", I am left out in the cold. Leave a bad taste.......

MG

Bad news....I received notification from Toyota USA that since the dealership wrote on the work order that my rear differential was "leaking" when I brought it in, and it didn't say it was "growling", they declined to reimburse me for the $1200.00 viscous coupler, even though others are being reimbursed for this SAME PART FAILURE. Word to the wise: be careful to make sure that your dealership service writer records the correct issue on your work order so that if Toyota does a recall/extended warranty, you are included in the deal. I asked for a review and because the work order did not use the word "growl", I am left out in the cold. Leave a bad taste.......
Breezy, Thanks for the follow-up on this and for helping out other Rav4 Owners. I too am not happy to hear that Toyota declined to reimburse you for the repair but hopefully your tale will help other owners make sure that the paperwork from the Dealer is handled properly to avoid this type situation.
Thank you again for your contribution to this Forum.

R

Ron Merritt

2006 – 2012 RAV4 4WD vehicles Extension of Warranty Coverage for Rear Differential Coupling Growl Noise

In our continuing efforts to help ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Warranty Enhancement Program to extend the warranty coverage for Rear Differential Coupling Growl Noise on 2006-2012 model year RAV4 4WD vehicles.

In some of these vehicles, Toyota has received some reports that the vehicle may exhibit a growl type noise from the rear differential coupling when driving due to contamination of the front bearing.

Although the Rear Differential Assembly is covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Powertrain Warranty for 5 years or 60,000 miles (whichever occurs first), we at Toyota care about our customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is now extending the warranty coverage for Rear Differential Coupling Growl Noise in the covered vehicles.

The owner notification will commence in early January, 2015 and will be mailed over several months.

This Warranty Enhancement Program provides a Primary and Secondary coverage to the vehicle’s “New Vehicle Limited Powertain Warranty” as it applies to the Rear Differential Assembly. The specific condition covered by this program is Rear Differential Coupling Growl Noise.

• The Primary Coverage offers warranty enhancement until April 30, 2017, regardless of mileage.
• After the Primary Coverage, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 9 years from the date of first use, regardless of mileage.

Please note:
• This coverage is for warranty work performed at an authorized Toyota dealer only.
• Damage incurred from abuse, an accident, vandalism or non-warrantable causes are not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or this Warranty Enhancement Program.

There are approximately 670,000 Vehicles covered by this Warranty Enhancement Program.

I have a 2010 RAV-4 with the growling rear differential. My dealer tells me the parts are on a nation wide backlog. I want to go on a road trip from Wisconsin to New Mexico. Is it just a noise or is there a mechanical problem that should limit my driving?

RAM

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Laurie Canada

I've been told the same thing about the parts being on backlog. Were you given an ETA on when to expect the parts? I was told 3 weeks in early April and in my last two follow-up calls no specifics were provided on timeline. Even Toyota Canada informed they could not answer this question, because it is in the parts distributors' hands to give this information directly to the dealer. Would help if drivers/ customers knew the timelines. Like you, I need to make some decisions to ensure my vehicle is reliable enough to drive.

R

RICK MARSHALL

My 2011 RAV was diagnosed as needing a replacement Torsen coupling on May 13, 2016.
The service dept. said a check with the Canadian distributor indicated a backlog of 600 ahead of me.
Service will open a work order to preserve warranty coverage which expires in June on my vehicle, they know of no extensions for Canadian customers.

L

Laurie Canada

My 2011 RAV was diagnosed as needing a replacement Torsen coupling on May 13, 2016.
The service dept. said a check with the Canadian distributor indicated a backlog of 600 ahead of me.
Service will open a work order to preserve warranty coverage which expires in June on my vehicle, they know of no extensions for Canadian customers.

Thank you Rick. At least you were given some indication of where the backlog stands. I appreciate your post. I was told the warranty extension was good until August of this year.

J

Janet Moran

My car has been on the list for the viscous coupler replacement for months, and now it appears that my rear differential may have failed after a loud bang, leaking of fluid and black smoke. I think the coupler could have caused this to fail. Of course, the rear differential is not covered. Will never buy TOYOTA again. Crappy service, unwanted aggravation!

• The Primary Coverage offers warranty enhancement until April 30, 2017, regardless of mileage.

Please note:

A

Amanda L.

I have a 2010 RAV-4 with the growling rear differential. My dealer tells me the parts are on a nation wide backlog. I want to go on a road trip from Wisconsin to New Mexico. Is it just a noise or is there a mechanical problem that should limit my driving?

RAM

I had the same question - I have a road trip planned from Connecticut to Ohio and I called 2 different Toyota service centers, both of whom said that it is NOT recommended to drive on any long trips with this problem, until the parts come in. They said that the bearings inside could overheat and blow out.

I am currently waiting to hear back if they will provide me with a rental car, which I feel they should.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
I had the same question - I have a road trip planned from Connecticut to Ohio and I called 2 different Toyota service centers, both of whom said that it is NOT recommended to drive on any long trips with this problem, until the parts come in. They said that the bearings inside could overheat and blow out.

I am currently waiting to hear back if they will provide me with a rental car, which I feel they should.
Please keep us informed as to how this goes. I hope they provide you a rental.

prairie girl

I took my Rav 4 into the dealership on April 12, growling noise and vibration in the back on turns. Was told not to drive on highway or much at all. Was glad to hear the rear coupler replacement will be covered by warranty. After numerous calls to check on this part I am told due to supplier constraints not to expect it to the end of July and that 1000 of these are on back order in Canada. What they heck is going on?

OishiiJPN

Staff member
I took my Rav 4 into the dealership on April 12, growling noise and vibration in the back on turns. Was told not to drive on highway or much at all. Was glad to hear the rear coupler replacement will be covered by warranty. After numerous calls to check on this part I am told due to supplier constraints not to expect it to the end of July and that 1000 of these are on back order in Canada. What they heck is going on?
Since they advised you not to drive the vehicle, did they provide you a rental vehicle at no cost to you?