2007-2011 Toyota Sienna, Highlander and Venza Engine Oil Cooler Pipe Leak LSC ZE2

OishiiJPN

Staff member

Subject: Limited Service Campaign (LSC) ZE2
2007-2011 Sienna, 2008-2011 Highlander and 2009-2011 Venza Vehicles Enhanced Warranty Coverage for Engine Oil Cooler Pipe Leak

In Toyota's continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is launching a Limited Service Campaign (LSC) 2007-2011 Sienna, 2008-2011 Highlander and 2009-2011 Venza Vehicles

Background:
In these vehicles, a small number of customers have reported an oil leak or seap from the Engine Oil Cooler Pipe.

Limited Service Campaign (LSC) Remedy
Authorized Toyota dealerships are requested to replace the Oil Cooler Pipe at NO CHARGE to the
vehicle’s owner.

The Primary Coverage offers warranty enhancement until January 31, 2016 with no mileage limitation.

The Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the (DOFU) Date Of First Use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Owner Notification Mailing Date :
The owner notification will commence in July, 2014, approximately 1 week after the dealer notification.

F

Frederic

My 2008 very clean Highlander just had this problem last night during a heave thunderstorm. I took my vehicle to my mechanic who immediately diagnosed the issue. He stated that I lost 3 quarts of oil and got there just in time, seems no damage to the issue. I called Toyota after seeing that this was an issue with Highlanders, and other Toyota models. The representative from Toyota did a vin check and stated that my vehicle was not included in the recall. Wonder why!! I'm going to send in my receipt in hopes that I will be compensated for this issue that should have been solved by recall!

OishiiJPN

Staff member
My 2008 very clean Highlander just had this problem last night during a heave thunderstorm. I took my vehicle to my mechanic who immediately diagnosed the issue. He stated that I lost 3 quarts of oil and got there just in time, seems no damage to the issue. I called Toyota after seeing that this was an issue with Highlanders, and other Toyota models. The representative from Toyota did a vin check and stated that my vehicle was not included in the recall. Wonder why!! I'm going to send in my receipt in hopes that I will be compensated for this issue that should have been solved by recall!
It would be great if Toyota reimbursed you the repair. Please keep us up to date when you hear something.

W

Wade Noble

I am not only being reimbursed for the repair of my 2010 Sienna, but they are also reimbursing me for rental car, hotel bill, and towing. The engine was blown and I also got a brand new small block put in.

D

DeLee

Had my oil changed 2 weeks ago on my 2008 Highlander at my local Dealer. Driving home at 9pm Thursday, on a dark 2 lane road with no where to stop, my HL started sputtering, and knocking. I got home after about a 10-15 minute drive, checked my oil and the dip stick was completely dry. There was not one drop of oil to be found, except under the body of the car. After much discussion with the dealer, they came and got my car to evaluate the problem. The service manager said "I don't think it was anything we did during the oil change, but we will look at it." Well I got the diagnosis from the dealer as " well somehow the oil cooler line came off, we fixed it and now it is under warranty." Ok, why was that not recalled or at least brought to my attention before now? I have to say this is my 3rd Toyota to own, but I am questioning their honesty at this point. I now see this is a known problem. I just hope my engine is ok.

A

Alisa

I am not only being reimbursed for the repair of my 2010 Sienna, but they are also reimbursing me for rental car, hotel bill, and towing. The engine was blown and I also got a brand new small block put in.

How many miles did your Sienna have on it? My Highlander just had this problem and the dealer says my engine is blown. Toyota is telling me I am out of warranty on the LSC extension since it's over 150,000 miles. However, I never even received a letter from Toyota about their known issue and this LSC warranty extension. Dealer says it will be $8500 for a used motor.

D

DCA

My wife's 2009 Sienna dumped all of it's oil over the weekend. We had it towed to the dealership, were told about the warranty and Toyota took care of the rental car. Very happy with Toyota's response to the issue.

D

DArcher

My wife's 2009 Sienna dumped all of it's oil over the weekend. We had it towed to the dealership, were told about the warranty and Toyota took care of the rental car. Very happy with Toyota's response to the issue.

Today as in 9/5/2017 ?
I am in PST.
Dave

A

Adam1974

Can you tell me what number to call to talk with someone and submit my receipt?

M

MikeI

I just had my 2008 Highlander break this oil cooler pipe. Oil everywhere. Toyota told me that I've had the vehicle for 10 years and one month, therefore, they wouldn't pay for the $900 repair. So four weeks too late and they won't help. Unbelievable.

C

ChristyT29

We have an 07 Sienna, bought in 2014 at 95,000 miles. Dealer never told us about the recall on oil cooler lines. This weekend, at 130,000 miles but over ten years old, lost all our oil and had it towed. Oil Cooler lines, it is. Obviously it's out of secondary warranty. But did they need to tell us when we bought the van about the unfixed recall, if it was in the frame of it being able to be fixed by Toyota? Nothing was said about it. We bought it used from a Toyota dealership.

M

Maximus

I just had the same problem. My 2010 Highlander started leaking oil while driving. Mechanic said it was the oil cooler line ($600+ to repair). I am writing a letter to Toyota to see if they will pay for the repairs if it is just over the 150k limit? If not, this is absurd and unlike the exceptional service I have received from Toyota in the past.

MDM

C

Camille

I just had this cooling oil pipe burst on my 2008 Highlander. I was never notified that it was a known issue as their website states they notified owners. The repair is costing me hundreds and I am within the mileage limit on the warranty but a few months after the "whichever comes first". I have always bought Toyota cars but due to their refusal to cover an item they knew was not quality, so much so they extended the warranty on said part, I will never buy another Toyota again. AND to top it off the extended warranty I purchased n the vehicle refuses to pay as they are claiming since Toyota knew it was a bad part and I never had it fixed (as I was never notified by Toyota) they also are not covering the repairs. Done with Toyota.

C

Cory

Add another to the list! I just had the rubber engine oil cooler hose go out on my '08 Highlander Sport on Friday, 8/03/18. Sunk several quarts of oil in just to make it to the mechanic safely. I'm likely just outside the 10 yrs / 150k miles mark, so recognize they don't technically "owe" me anything. Still figured I'd send an email to request full, or even partial, reimbursement for the cost of repair. Not holding my breath...

A

Angela

This engine cooler hose was supposed to be all metal. Instead they look like they cut it and used rubber hose. They never notified me in 2014. Today my wife went to the store and all the oil vacated the engine called Toyota because I saw this notice online. Toyota told me to bad so sad. I have been buying Toyota since 1993 first one was a Celica, then 2004 Corolla, then 2008 Highlander Limited,a nod finally 2009 Toyota Camry. To bad so sad I will not be buying Toyota or recommend it any more to anyone. Toyota service has gone down hill just like GM did when they lost me in the 90's. Shady they knew of this issue and never notified customers to get their vehicles in because it could cause major engine damage with no oil in it in a matter of seconds.

A

Angela

This engine cooler hose was supposed to be all metal. Instead it looks like they cut it and used rubber hose and clamps instead, because a bracket was in the way. It was a cheap fix at the factory, should have been all metal. They never notified me in July of 2014 when they knew the hose was going to deteriorate because of the heat in that area, that is why it is supposed to be all metal. Today my wife went to the store and all the oil vacated the engine in the parking lot, fortunately she shut engine off. I called Toyota because I saw this notice online. Toyota told me to bad so sad at 128,000 miles August 2018. I have been buying Toyota since 1993 first one was a Celica, then in 2004 Corolla, then in 2008 Highlander Limited, and finally in 2009 Toyota Camry. To bad so sad I will not be buying Toyota or recommend it any more to anyone. Toyota service has gone down hill just like GM did when they lost me in the 90's. Shady they knew of this issue and never notified customers to get their vehicles in because it could cause major engine damage with no oil in a matter of seconds. They say it was just a limited service campaign, but they knew full well in 2014 that all of them would fail. Seems to me a notice should have been sent out that told all owners that it needed to be replaced. Even now they should warn all customers because when it goes your engine will seize with no oil.

M

Mike C.

We just had the oil cooler pipe fail in our 2011 Sienna...well inside the 10-year window but 3,000 miles over the 150K cap. (Our VIN was covered by the warranty "enhancement.") Dealer charged $610 for the repair and Toyota corporate will do nothing for us (they did suggest going back to the dealer, but it's not the dealer's fault the engine was built with a known defect). We were fortunate the failure happened close to home and there was no engine damage--it blew through most of the oil so quickly that on the highway, I'm sure the block would have been toast.

If this was just a random failure, I'd suck it up and move on...but it clearly relates to a known defect. I'll be amusing myself by writing some state and federal agencies, in the hopes of getting Toyota to revisit the issue. My dealer did say he'd seen a lot of these, that it had "slowed down" but he's had a few more lately--his suggestion is to keep your receipts and resubmit, should Toyota extend the enhancement.

S

S Conley

I’ll add to the saga. 2008 highlander here with 93k miles. Wife was driving, engine sounded wierd, then low oil pressure light came on. Luckily she was just a few blocks from home, pulled over. I took a look, determined I thought it was probably the oil cooler lines, had it towed to dealer. $560 later, oil cooler line replaced. My highlander was first in service 12/17, so I was over time, but under miles. I called Toyota cust service and they said they would not reimburse at all, not even consider a goodwill. I don’t know how this company got away with letting an obvious defect be dealt with by a warranty extension vs a recall. If my wife had been on the freeway and could t pull over safely this could have been driving an engine with no oil, leading to engine failure! If anyone has news on class action I think it should be considered.