2007-2011 Toyota Sienna, Highlander and Venza Engine Oil Cooler Pipe Leak LSC ZE2

P

Paxtoner

Add another to the list! I just had the rubber engine oil cooler hose go out on my '08 Highlander Sport on Friday, 8/03/18. Sunk several quarts of oil in just to make it to the mechanic safely. I'm likely just outside the 10 yrs / 150k miles mark, so recognize they don't technically "owe" me anything. Still figured I'd send an email to request full, or even partial, reimbursement for the cost of repair. Not holding my breath...

Hey Cory, same problem here, any follow up ? What did Toyota say or do? Thanks!

M

Martha

The same issue happened to our 2008 Sienna last night as we we're leaving Dallas and heading home to Austin.
We will be calling the dealerships here in Dallas in the morning.
We are the second owners of the van & do not know the "date of first usage".
Does anyone know how to find the date of first usage on the internet?
Thanks!

L

Logan

Just adding my case to the list. My wife text me last night that our 2011 Sienna started smelling like burning oil and as she pulled in to our driveway it stated smoking. When i got home i checked the oil level and there was still a small amount of oil left in the engine, just enough to save major damage. I topped off the oil and started the engine to locate the leak and sure enough oil streaming out of the oil cooler line. We are still covered under the secondary enhancement luckily. This problem is extremely serious and should be a full blown recall.

O

Out of Luck

I had this issue happen to me over the weekend while driving on the highway. Unfortunately, by the time I pulled off the exit, all the oil had drained out of the vehicle. Engine has seized up. The warranty just expired this past April for my vehicle. Is there anyone I can speak with at Toyota?

B

Boulder Family

Ditto
2011 Sienna xle awd
Oil all over the driveway and a streak down the street.
Oil dripping out of the headlights and down the passenger tire well.
Zero oil on the dipstick.
A Horrendous Mess!
Hopefully the engine isn’t seized or toasted.

2011 Sienna

Just had this happen on my 2011 Sienna with 138000 miles on it. I have the warranty enhancement letter from Toyota, so I hope it will be covered.

I am concerned about the health of the engine. My wife probably drive a mile or so with the engine clattering. All oil was pumped out. I added a few quarts to verify the leak point, which is indeed the cooler lines. The engine quieted right up with some oil pressure, but I’m afraid there is internal damage.

Since I believe I am covered by the warranty, I actually wish the engine was seized. For anyone that has gone through a similar experience, will Toyota look for internal engine damage? Or if it is still running, will they just put the new cooler lines on and send you on your way? I’m trying to decide how damaged the engine should be when I report the problem to my local dealer, if you know what I mean.

E

Ethan E

Same issue as everyone else here. We have an 07 Sienna and one of the oil cooler hose sprung a leak last night. All the oil in the car must have leaked on the highway and it started making some rattling noise right before we got home. Pulled in the driveway, refilled with oil, and the oil is just shooting out from one of the rubber hoses under the engine. This is a really cheap fix for Toyota, but an expensive one for customers, especially if it damages the engine. Why not just take care of your customers?

O

OWutAFeelin

Another one bites the dust. I drove almost 40 miles before the check engine light came on. Pulled off the interstate and immediately called for a tow to my mechanic. Tow truck driver said there was a leak and the tank was bone dry. Roadside assistance didn’t cover the mileage charge over 17 miles, so I have already spent $61 on that. Waiting to hear from mechanic as to the damages, but it’s definitely the oil cooler pipe. It must have busted that day because there’s a puddle in my driveway and a trail down the street. It was raining so I never even noticed.

2009 Toyota Highlander. Second owner. Meticulous about maintenance. So puzzled as to why this was never addressed at an oil change appointment.

C

Channel Cat

I lost all my oil and the engine is toast. It's out of scope for the recall. I will pull the engine and see how bad it is. When looking for a JDM engine, the are a lot of engines with out oil cooler. Do I have to replace it with the oil cooler? Can I install the oil cooler on an engine that doesn't have it? Ive read a post where one of the cams broke and that was most of the damage. My engine turns over easily, even runs but roughly. Any advise on rebuilding it?

T

TammyK

Second owner of a 2011 Highlander, 129K miles, and just experienced this last Saturday. Made it to the shop where they determined it's the oil coolant line. They are now installing the new part. I advised them to save the old part, and we'll see what the local dealership says.

T

TammyK

As a follow-up, I have to jump through hoops to be reimbursed for the $400 repair. One day after repairs, a check engine light came on, which was determined to be a bad O2 sensor (covered with oil). Toyota says they won't pay for the O2 sensor replacement as it's not covered under the enhanced warranty, even though it was directly caused by the oil leak.

Second owner of a 2011 Highlander, 129K miles, and just experienced this last Saturday. Made it to the shop where they determined it's the oil coolant line. They are now installing the new part. I advised them to save the old part, and we'll see what the local dealership says.

V

Vince

Anyone know if this only applies to a subset of these vehicles?

For example, the Limited Service Campaign states that 2008-2011 Toyota Highlanders are affected vehicles bur when I punch in my VIN on www.toyota.com/recall, it is able to identifymy vehicle as a 2011 Toyota Highlander but states:

"There are no open Safety Recalls or Service Campaigns for this vehicle."

My vehicle is a 2011 Toyota Highlander base model with a 2.7L 1AR-FE 2WD automatic (U760E 6-speed).

V

Venza owner

Just my 2010 Venza do the same as the others. The dealership told me that I had the enhanced warranty for the Limited remedy. No cost, but...will it reoccur?

M

Mark A.

Happened to me over the weekend. First owner of a 2009 Highlander with 152k miles. I was 2k miles over the warranty and Toyota refused to pay for the repair.

Thankfully, this happened when I was pulling into a parking lot. I am hoping there is no engine damage. I am utterly disappointed that Toyota did not categorize this as a safety issue/recall. I am planning on opening a complaint with NTSB.

2011 Sienna SJI

Add another - 2011 Toyota Sienna, 56K miles. Just brought in for service yesterday due to grinding noise in the differential, and figured would have an oil change while there (skipped the $3K differential repair for now).
Today, my wife used my car to drive kids and friends on a trip and 45 minutes away low oil pressure light goes on, says to stop immediately.
Local mechanic said the rubber Engine Oil Cooler Pipe had a hole. He put oil in just to drive it from parking lot to lift, and the oil just came right through to ground.
Called dealer and since we are <10 years and only 56K said Toyota would cover it. Of course, we are stuck at local shop far from home.
Hopefully Toyota will reimburse for the $300 repair and $300 rental car (need it for weekend.

Unbelievable that this was not a mandatory recall. Could have been catastrophic with whole family in the car.

M

Matt75

I agree that this is a considerable safety issue. A recall would be much more appropriate for both road safety and for consumer protection. A suspected blown cooler line just happened to me last night, and I was very distracted when I realized my 2011 sienna (about 125k miles) went from providing normal responsiveness to giving incomprehensible feedback within seconds. A "low oil" message flashed once on the center console as I was pulling out of a gas station into traffic. This light did not return. No other lights lit up at any time. Immediately, however, I noticed hesitation when trying to accelerate. I thought that it was an electrical problem at that point, perhaps it was affecting the fuel injectors. Then I noticed a clicking noise coming from the engine. At that point, I pulled over at the next safest opportunity and turned off the vehicle. I popped the hood and noticed oil everywhere toward the bottom of the engine compartment/underside of the vehicle. The dip stick was dry. This all happened within .75 miles on a two lane state highway (one lane in each direction) with a 55 mph speed limit. I certainly wasn't driving defensively during this time, and I had very minimal awareness of any vehicles around me. The acceleration issue could have been catastrophic if I had tried to beat traffic that was far enough away to proceed, yet close enough to think twice. Fortunately, I'm not an aggressive driver, and I waited. The whole experience has baffled me as I've never experienced such a complete and sudden failure while driving a vehicle. I will report this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). A quick search shows that you can report your safety concerns here (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/) or here (1-888-327-4236). Please speak up where it matters.

R

Rich Clough

Son was borrowing car. on highway, oil light came on. he couldnt pull over, once able, went to convenience store, checked dipstick. NO OIL showed on dipstick. put in 1... then 2... then 3 quarts of oil... started truck, oil light off and drove away... got down the road, oil light back on. Told him to pull over and we had truck towed to our mechanic. confirmed it was the oil cooler hose (OIL EVERYWHERE). replace the part with the newly designed part (metal vs. rubber as I understand it). Picked up truck today. Deep Knocking sound... in the belly of the motor. Gets louder as i drive... feel a definite loss in power... vibration in my seat as I drive (i.e. not a wheel)... SOOOOO disappointed. Toyota needs to stand by this. The question isnt whether or not the motor is going to seize, it is when... Is it 100 miles, 50K miles... dont know, but until it happens, my wife will be driving my Tundra (which she is not happy about) because I dont want her in the car when the thing blows up....

Side note, My son has a Hyundai Sonata. It had a recall for metal chips in the engine. Recall was for <120K miles... Son's car blew up with 147K miles... NO QUESTIONS ASKED... Hyundai put a BRAND NEW ENGINE in his car.... YES BRAND NEW and cost to us was $0.

Toyota... Please consider helping us who are experiencing this issue. We love our Toyotas, but when it is time to replace this engine, if this isn't handled, I assure you that you will never see a Toyota in my driveway ever again.

B

Ben

BGroot *** I'm editing this because this is incorrect information. The Limited Service Campaign (LSC) 90K is for a different oil line, on different years of Sienna. Read about the Limited Service Campaign 90k here...
Talked to Toyota today and the recall code #90K is still active. This is for the oil cooling pipe. Corporate said it will be free but they will not pay for a tow. Sprung a pinhole and lost about 3/4 quart of oil (very lucky) before parking it.

J

Jaime

Same here. 2008 Highlander, 118,000 miles, happened this weekend on a highway in Phoenix, with my 3 small kids in the back seat. Oil was covering the back window well before the low oil pressure light came on (I didn't know it was oil at the time). Not sure the state of the engine, but its at the repair shop. The shop owner specializes in Toyota and keeps this part in stock because this is such a common issue. No support from Toyota as it they state the warranty is expired. We won't buy Toyota again either.