2010-2012 Toyota Prius Coverage for Halogen Low Beam Headlamp Bulbs CSP ZHB

OishiiJPN

Staff member

Subject: Customer Support Program ZHB
Certain 2010- 2012 Model Year Prius
Coverage for Halogen Low Beam Headlamp Bulbs

In our continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Customer Support Program to provide coverage for Halogen Low Beam Headlamp Bulbs on Certain 2010- 2012 Model Year Prius vehicles.

Background:
Toyota has received a number of reports regarding the halogen head lamps on certain 2010 – 2012 model year Prius vehicles. In these reports, customers have indicated that their vehicle’s halogen low beam headlamp bulb lifetime is shorter than expected.

Although the Halogen Low Beam Headlamp Bulbs are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is providing coverage related to the halogen head lamp bulbs due to these circumstances.

Customer Support Program Details:
This Customer Support Program provides coverage as it applies to the halogen headlamp bulbs. The specific
condition covered by this program is that the halogen low beam headlamp bulb lifetime is shorter than expected.

If the condition is verified, the dealer will install voltage adjustment wire harnesses and replace both halogen low beam headlamp bulbs under the terms of this Customer Support Program.

NOTE:
Right and left side bulbs and harnesses will be installed even if only one side is exhibiting or has exhibited the condition.

• Even if the vehicle does not currently exhibit the condition, but has exhibited the condition in the past and has had a headlamp bulb replaced, the vehicle may be eligible for repair if the customer can provide documentation indicating that the bulb(s) has been replaced previously. Refer to the customer reimbursement checklist for documentation details.

This coverage will be offered until October 31, 2019, regardless of mileage

Owner Letter Mailing Date:
Toyota will begin to notify owners in early November 2017 and will be mailed over several months.

Remedy Procedures:
Technical instructions for this Customer Support Program can be found in TSB-0204-12 Revision 2
***The above link is older and does not show Revision 2 which is updated to include the 2012 model year Prius.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the condition?

Toyota has received a number of reports regarding the halogen head lamps on certain 2010 – 2012 model
year Prius vehicles. In these reports, customers have indicated that their vehicle’s halogen low beam
headlamp bulb lifetime is shorter than expected.

What is Toyota going to do?
Although the Halogen Low Beam Headlamp Bulbs are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership
experience. Toyota is providing coverage related to the halogen head lamp bulbs due to these circumstances.

Toyota will send (in phases consistent with parts availability and repair capacity) an owner notification by first class mail starting in early-October, 2017, advising owners of this Customer Support Program.

If the owner experiences the condition described above, he/she should contact a local authorized Toyota
dealership for diagnosis. If the condition is verified, the dealer will install voltage adjustment wire harnesses

and replace the halogen low beam headlamp bulbs with new ones at NO CHARGE to the customer.

Which and how many vehicles are covered by this Customer Support Program?
There are approximately 390,000 vehicles covered by this Customer Support Program.
This coverage will be offered until October 31, 2019 regardless of mileage.

How long will the repair take?
The repair takes approximately 3 hours. However, depending upon the dealer’s work schedule, it may be
necessary to make the vehicle available for a longer period of time.

What if I have additional questions or concerns?
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-888-270-9371 Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, Saturday 7:00 am to 4:30 pm Central Time.

R

RDSMITH

So...
I've gone through numerous (at least 3-4 twin packs) of low beam headlights in the last few years. I just took it in to the dealer to remedy this per the letter I received. The dealer charged me $66 (parts and labor) to replace the bulb and did not install the fix. They said the "process" is to first install a "know good" TOyota bulb and if that fails within a year they will then install the harness fix. What is up with that?!

Lewis

Staff member
So...
I've gone through numerous (at least 3-4 twin packs) of low beam headlights in the last few years. I just took it in to the dealer to remedy this per the letter I received. The dealer charged me $66 (parts and labor) to replace the bulb and did not install the fix. They said the "process" is to first install a "know good" TOyota bulb and if that fails within a year they will then install the harness fix. What is up with that?!
Have the Dealer show you that procedure in writing. They won’t be able too because that’s not how it works. You need to contact Toyota directly or the Toyota Dealer General Managee and get them involved. They should have ordered and/or installed the fix.

R

RYoshie

My dealer, Stevinson Toyota East, Aurora, CO, said they aren't installing harnesses and instead are installing new bulbs. The service rep told me it's been too difficult to determine whether customers are having a problem, and if my bulbs aren't burning out every 2 months, I probably don't have a problem. He asked me if my bulbs are working now. I said yes. He said that there's nothing more to do. I'm on my third set of bulbs, which I guess is okay, but didn't really like how the service rep responded to my concerns, as it seems contrary to Toyota's notice.

U

Umair

hi,
i have 2010 prius and suffering from the same problem in UK
changed more than 10 pairs in last 8 months. last time at the service they checked and say its fine and i show them the tsb bulletein and they say its only for USA customer
i am really fed up with the headlamps cost me a fortune
i will appreciate any advise :)
regards
Umair

B

billie ricks

our bulb went out before we knew there was a problem so we had it replaced at our cost where we take our car for regular maintenance. When we got the notification about coverage hubby went to lots of work to get all the required paperwork and submitting it for a refund. We just got a letter saying they needed a 'reason' for the light being replaced (only thing on the bill of sale/labor). Because the paperwork didn't say it was 'burnt out' was good enough reason and our submission is denied unless we go back to our service center and have them redo the paperwork...I can see that being denied because it was written after the fact....

That is just silly but were told it is compliance. Hubby works in compliance on a huge scale. This is not compliance it is a way to get out of refunding us $75. Almost every car we have bought has been a Toyota. We have bought 2 Prius. Are they really so petty?

Beware !

Lewis

Staff member
our bulb went out before we knew there was a problem so we had it replaced at our cost where we take our car for regular maintenance. When we got the notification about coverage hubby went to lots of work to get all the required paperwork and submitting it for a refund. We just got a letter saying they needed a 'reason' for the light being replaced (only thing on the bill of sale/labor). Because the paperwork didn't say it was 'burnt out' was good enough reason and our submission is denied unless we go back to our service center and have them redo the paperwork...I can see that being denied because it was written after the fact....

That is just silly but were told it is compliance. Hubby works in compliance on a huge scale. This is not compliance it is a way to get out of refunding us $75. Almost every car we have bought has been a Toyota. We have bought 2 Prius. Are they really so petty?

Beware !
I’m sorry to hear that this happened. Have you had the repair with new bulbs and harness’ installed yet?

K

Kdorton

We have only had the car 2 years this month and have replaced the bulbs ourselves 3 times. Will Toyota honor a receipt from the parts store, or do we have to have it changed at a dealership?

Subject: Customer Support Program ZHB
Certain 2010- 2011 Model Year Prius
Coverage for Halogen Low Beam Headlamp Bulbs

In our continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Customer Support Program to provide coverage for Halogen Low Beam Headlamp Bulbs on Certain 2010- 2011 Model Year Prius vehicles.

Background:
Toyota has received a number of reports regarding the halogen head lamps on certain 2010 – 2011 model year Prius vehicles. In these reports, customers have indicated that their vehicle’s halogen low beam headlamp bulb lifetime is shorter than expected.

Although the Halogen Low Beam Headlamp Bulbs are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is providing coverage related to the halogen head lamp bulbs due to these circumstances.

Customer Support Program Details:
This Customer Support Program provides coverage as it applies to the halogen headlamp bulbs. The specific
condition covered by this program is that the halogen low beam headlamp bulb lifetime is shorter than expected.

If the condition is verified, the dealer will install voltage adjustment wire harnesses and replace both halogen low beam headlamp bulbs under the terms of this Customer Support Program.

NOTE:
Right and left side bulbs and harnesses will be installed even if only one side is exhibiting or has exhibited the condition.

• Even if the vehicle does not currently exhibit the condition, but has exhibited the condition in the past and has had a headlamp bulb replaced, the vehicle may be eligible for repair if the customer can provide documentation indicating that the bulb(s) has been replaced previously. Refer to the customer reimbursement checklist for documentation details.

This coverage will be offered until October 31, 2019, regardless of mileage

Owner Letter Mailing Date:
Toyota will begin to notify owners in early November 2017 and will be mailed over several months.

Remedy Procedures:
Technical instructions for this Customer Support Program can be found in TSB-0204-12

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the condition?

Toyota has received a number of reports regarding the halogen head lamps on certain 2010 – 2011 model
year Prius vehicles. In these reports, customers have indicated that their vehicle’s halogen low beam
headlamp bulb lifetime is shorter than expected.

What is Toyota going to do?
Although the Halogen Low Beam Headlamp Bulbs are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership
experience. Toyota is providing coverage related to the halogen head lamp bulbs due to these circumstances.

Toyota will send (in phases consistent with parts availability and repair capacity) an owner notification by first class mail starting in early-October, 2017, advising owners of this Customer Support Program.

If the owner experiences the condition described above, he/she should contact a local authorized Toyota
dealership for diagnosis. If the condition is verified, the dealer will install voltage adjustment wire harnesses

and replace the halogen low beam headlamp bulbs with new ones at NO CHARGE to the customer.

Which and how many vehicles are covered by this Customer Support Program?
There are approximately 390,000 vehicles covered by this Customer Support Program.
This coverage will be offered until October 31, 2019 regardless of mileage.

How long will the repair take?
The repair takes approximately 3 hours. However, depending upon the dealer’s work schedule, it may be
necessary to make the vehicle available for a longer period of time.

What if I have additional questions or concerns?
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-888-270-9371 Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, Saturday 7:00 am to 4:30 pm Central Time.

Lewis

Staff member
We have only had the car 2 years this month and have replaced the bulbs ourselves 3 times. Will Toyota honor a receipt from the parts store, or do we have to have it changed at a dealership?
I would take it too your Dealer and gave them perform the repair which includes a fix of two resistance wiring harness and two new bulbs at no cost.

P

Paulm

My dealer is also telling me that since the bulb that blew is an after market bulb, they need to install Toyota replacement bulbs and charge me $84.16, and then if issue happens with the Toyota bulb they will install the wiring harness and new bulb! I can provide documentation showing that I've purchased 4 Sylvania replacement bulbs from Advance Auto Parts since November of 2016! The last time I replaced the bulb was September 24th of 2017. The bulb is out yet again! I feel I'm being fleeced by my local dealer - I like my Prius and will likely purchase another when the time comes - I'm not likely to return to this dealer for my next Toyota! Is it possible to have the wiring harnesses shipped to me to install?

S

Stephen Liss

I purchased a new 2012 Prius both front low beams stopped working. I found the the Toyota acknowledgement that this is a know defect for this car. When I went to my dealer I was informed that only 2010 and 2011 cars were being covered under the warranty enhancement . I am having a difficult time understanding how Toyota can acknowledge the defect for 2012 Prius's yes refuse to cover the problem in the same manner that they are for 2010 and 2011 models.

S

Steve

New I purchased a new 2012 Prius both front low beams stopped working. I found the the Toyota acknowledgement that this is a know defect for this car. When I went to my dealer I was informed that only 2010 and 2011 cars were being covered under the warranty enhancement . I am having a difficult time understanding how Toyota can acknowledge the defect for 2012 Prius's yet refuse to cover the problem in the same manner that they are for 2010 and 2011 models.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Staff member
New I purchased a new 2012 Prius both front low beams stopped working. I found the the Toyota acknowledgement that this is a know defect for this car. When I went to my dealer I was informed that only 2010 and 2011 cars were being covered under the warranty enhancement . I am having a difficult time understanding how Toyota can acknowledge the defect for 2012 Prius's yet refuse to cover the problem in the same manner that they are for 2010 and 2011 models.
Please reread the post, your 2012 should be covered. Also check with another Toyota Dealer.

hillel posner

Hi I am from California, I have a 2012 prius with bad headlights (replace them every few months). How do i post here? I want to ask about the warranty extension for 2012 but it says I have insufficient privileges.

Melanie

hi,
i have 2010 prius and suffering from the same problem in UK
changed more than 10 pairs in last 8 months. last time at the service they checked and say its fine and i show them the tsb bulletein and they say its only for USA customer
i am really fed up with the headlamps cost me a fortune
i will appreciate any advise :)
regards
Umair
Call the Toyota main headquarters. I did this with another Prius after dealer refused to correct car problem that was under warranty. Headquarters contacted dealer and problem was fixed.

L

Lon Wilson

My dealer, Stevinson Toyota East, Aurora, CO, said they aren't installing harnesses and instead are installing new bulbs. The service rep told me it's been too difficult to determine whether customers are having a problem, and if my bulbs aren't burning out every 2 months, I probably don't have a problem. He asked me if my bulbs are working now. I said yes. He said that there's nothing more to do. I'm on my third set of bulbs, which I guess is okay, but didn't really like how the service rep responded to my concerns, as it seems contrary to Toyota's notice.

L

Lon Wilson

I have a 2011 prius and have replaced my right side low beam lamp several times. I thought it odd since my 2001 silverado i have NEVER replaned tge bulb. So when the notice was mailed to me from toyota saying thatat this is a known defect i went to the dealer to get the harnesses replaced. And just as you say they wont do anything unless the car has a bad bulb. I didnt keep the reciepts so i cant prove i replaced other than them pulling the bulb, which is a pain to get at because the harness is too short!!! Funny thing is now my 2013 Corolla is doing the same thing!! I bought two new cars from Toyota and will be buying a truck soon, it probably wont be a toyota.

D

daniel p

Hello, last night villa toyota hull changed all my breack. I asked them to change one dead headlight and by the way my headlight burnig every 3,4 months could you check the recaal. They said it only for regular prius not for my Prius V 2012. Is it true ? Thank you