2010-2013 Toyota Highlander Sun Visor Warranty Extension ZF1

OishiiJPN

Staff member

Background

Toyota has received a number of reports regarding sun visors in certain 2010 to 2013 model year Highlander vehicles. In these cases, the sun visor may slowly rotate downward. See TSB 0029-15.

Applicability
The Sun Visor Assembly and Sun Visor Bracket are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first). However, Toyota is announcing a Customer Support Program (CSP) to cover the replacement of the Sun Visor Assembly and/or Sun Visor Bracket for 7 years from the date-of-first-use (regardless of mileage) for the condition described above.

Limited Service Campaign (LSC) Remedy
Authorized Toyota dealerships are requested to replace Sun Visor Assembly at NO CHARGE to the
vehicle’s owner.

The Primary Coverage offers warranty enhancement until August 31, 2016 with no mileage limitation.

The Secondary Coverage is applicable for 7 years from the (DOFU) Date Of First Use with no mileage limitation.

Owner Notification Mailing Date :
The owner notification will commence in late June, 2015, and will be mailed over a 2 month period.

If a customer has previously paid for the repair or replacement of the Sun Visor Assembly and/or Sun Visor Bracket to address the condition described above, please have them mail a copy of the repair order, proof-of-payment, and proof-of ownership to the following address for reimbursement consideration:

Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
Customer Experience Center, WC10
19001 South Western Avenue
Torrance, CA 90509
The customer name, address, and telephone number(s) should be included in the request. The customer should allow 4-6 weeks for processing.​

LucyB

I have had 2 highlanders; a 2002 which my son still drives and a 2006 hybrid that I bought in 2010. Both have had the driver's side visors drop and I have complained for years. There are posts all over the internet, but I have received no help from my dealer and am quoted $313 to replace it. This infuriates me, as it is clearly a Toyota defect. Now I see that the later models are being fixed, but still no help for me. I would love to get another Highlander, but will not if I am to have issues such as this and no help. Is there any help for those of us who have been suffering with sticky velcro "fixes" for pre 2010 models?

Robert cerullo

I have a 2012 highlander and the drivers side visor is not folding up anymore. But when I search for this extended service campaign using my vin it says the vehicle has no extended warrants for the sun visor. I have not received any notice from Toyota either. So what do I need to do to be covered?

Lewis

Staff member
I have a 2012 highlander and the drivers side visor is not folding up anymore. But when I search for this extended service campaign using my vin it says the vehicle has no extended warrants for the sun visor. I have not received any notice from Toyota either. So what do I need to do to be covered?
Where are you searching using your VIN?

Lewis

Staff member
Yes, you will need to check with your local Toyota Dealer using your vehicles VIN number. The online check is for recalls and not warranty extensions.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
On .Toyota's web site. Should I be searching some where else?
Robert, I would like to validate what Lewis stated and let you know that we are working on a post that should help clear up some confusion on how to check and see if a vehicle is involved in a Recall or Warranty Extension. Thanks! :)

Martine Beher

I showed my service advisor the TSB and here where it says there is a warranty extension to 7 years. But he said that it is not clearly stated on the TSB, that he will not fix the visor. Is there an official document from Toyota I can show him showing the ZF1 warranty extension or is it only valid on beige/tan highlanders so since mine is silver/gray I am SOL?

OishiiJPN

Staff member
I showed my service advisor the TSB and here where it says there is a warranty extension to 7 years. But he said that it is not clearly stated on the TSB, that he will not fix the visor. Is there an official document from Toyota I can show him showing the ZF1 warranty extension or is it only valid on beige/tan highlanders so since mine is silver/gray I am SOL?
Your are not SOL and it appears that your Service adviser isn't doing their job. Print this and take it too them.
Please keep in mind that not all Toyota Dealers are created equal and sometimes the employees don't do the best job, maybe another service adviser would be better to work with. If you still have a problem, then please ask to see the Dealers Service Director and/or contact Toyota directly at the Customer Care Center.

DJP

My driver's side sun visor started drooping & came off 18 days past the 7 year warranty extension period. I contacted my local dealer & was told to contact Toyota customer care center. I contacted them & was told that they would not replace the visor as it was past the warranty extension. Said they wouldn't do it even if it was 1 day past the extension. All the cars I've owned have been Camrys. But there have been so many recalls & other issues with the 2009 model I won't be buying another Toyota.

S

SerbIrish

I have two Toyota vehicles, 2004 RAV4 and 2007 Tacoma. Both RAV4 visors had to be replaced out of pocket. Now the Tacoma passenger visor has failed. This means Toyota has FAILED. Toyota Design team can't figure out how to design a basic safety element: the Sun Visor. What is poor customer service and business practice is they won't admit error or failure and issue a safety recall regarding this issue. Negligence!

E

Edward

Your are not SOL and it appears that your Service adviser isn't doing their job. Print this and take it too them.
Please keep in mind that not all Toyota Dealers are created equal and sometimes the employees don't do the best job, maybe another service adviser would be better to work with. If you still have a problem, then please ask to see the Dealers Service Director and/or contact Toyota directly at the Customer Care Center.

Mine just broke. Thank you for posting the notification. I never received mine in the mail.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Mine just broke. Thank you for posting the notification. I never received mine in the mail.
Thank you for owning a Toyota! If you could help other Toyota Owners who may not know about this warranty extension, hit that Facebook Recommend button below, Tweet or Email it. This helps get the word out and makes it easier to find. Thanks! :)

S

Susan

Mine just broke as well! Thanks for posting this information, but I see the limitations of vehicles are only for the grey and beige models. My 2012 Highlander happens to be Pearl white. Does this mean I'm out of luck?

MG

Mine just broke as well! Thanks for posting this information, but I see the limitations of vehicles are only for the grey and beige models. My 2012 Highlander happens to be Pearl white. Does this mean I'm out of luck?
I think that the colors you are referring too are for the visors themselves and not the car color. I'll have to check...

Lewis

Staff member
MG is correct. Those are just the interior of the vehicle color code option and not the outside vehicle color. You're good to go.

C

Caitlyn

Our visor has been having problems for about the last month and I just saw this recall from googling about highlander visors. Ours is a 2011 but we bought it from its owner in 2015. Will it still be covered under this extended warranty?

MG

Our visor has been having problems for about the last month and I just saw this recall from googling about highlander visors. Ours is a 2011 but we bought it from its owner in 2015. Will it still be covered under this extended warranty?
This is not a Recall but a warranty enhancement and there are 2 criteria that must be met....

The Primary Coverage offers warranty enhancement until August 31, 2016 with no mileage limitation.
↑↑↑

You are past this point so your Highlander doesn't qualify under the Primary Coverage. Now lets look at the Secondary Coverage....

The Secondary Coverage is applicable for 7 years from the (DOFU) Date Of First Use with no mileage limitation.

You may qualify if your Date of First Use is within 7 years of today. That would have to make the DOFU 1/16/2012. Since its a 2011 year model I doubt it but you would have to check with your local Toyota Dealer to see.

T

teamomma

I too was not aware of this recall and have been having trouble with the visor. I asked that it be looked at at my 2018 service and nothing was done and nothing was brought up about the expiration of the recall. Today I took my 2010 Highlander in for a service and asked the the visor issue be addressed. I was first told the recall had expired. When I respectfully pressed, the rep stated he would see what he could do. I showed him information I had found on line. He spoke to his manager who stated that I should contact Toyota directly. My car is currently at the dealer being serviced so I do not have the vin number with me.

Bottom line here is that it needs to be fixed at no cost! I too was quoted about $300 for part and labor! This is a safety issue as the visor is in my face when in use and could indeed fall off.