B

Brian

We have the same issue with a 2012 Prius V, noticed amount of oil coming out of engine during oil change was becoming less. Finally the last oul change I started monitoring oil level regularly. Using over a quart every thousand. Has anyone looked into what it takes to start a class actionlawsuit? Anyone know what firm handled the Rav 4 and Camery Lawsuit? Obviously they know the process.

B

Bobcat

I have a 2010 Prius, only 86k miles and ran out of oil after 4000 miles since last oil change. I had regular oil changes and service on car. This is completely unacceptable. There should be a class action suit. This was my first and now last Toyota I will ever buy. These people have no honor.

P

PGCorky

We bought our Prius V new in 2012 and it never needed the oil to be topped up between changes. That all changed at 102,000 miles. The check engine light came on and I was stunned to find no sign of oil on the dip stick. I believe I put in 3 quarts at the time just to get to the bottom of the stick. Took it to our mechanic and they told us that the codes thrown indicate a low oil condition. Here we are at 112,000 miles and adding oil every 700 miles. We're going to the dealership for the software recall (18V-684) and have asked them to diagnose the oil consumption issue. I'm prepared to receive the bad news i.e. your rings are shot and we can fix it for $4,000. Next will come my letter writing campaign starting with the CEO of Toyota North America - Jim Lentz. Should be a straightforward letter. "If you don't stand behind your vehicles, I'll never own another. Every person I know will hear about my trouble with Toyota."

M

Mindy Andes

I am having same issue with this engine. 2013 Prius 112,000 miles last oil change was 5,000 miles ago. I had put 1 quart in a week before oil change. It was gone at oil change. Mechanic looked for leaks, but nothing. Toyota needs to address and fix this issue.
I emailed Toyota and will be calling today.
Anyone who gets a positive response let me know.
I am all for a lawsuit to remedy this.

M

Mindy Andes

I am having same issue with this engine. 2013 Prius 112,000 miles last oil change was 5,000 miles ago. I had put 1 quart in a week before oil change. It was gone at oil change. Mechanic looked for leaks, but nothing. Toyota needs to address and fix this issue.
I emailed Toyota and will be calling today.
Anyone who gets a positive response let me know.
I am all for a lawsuit to remedy this.
Toyota said nothing they can do, it will be my expense to repair it.

M

Michael

Some issue. Adding a quart of oil every 1k miles. Was at the dealer for the inverter software recall, and the service advisor said it was a $6k fix.

J

Jen

2012 Prius IV here. About 1000 miles from my last oil change (End of november) a yellow alert started flashing on curves but disappeared so fast I couldn't see what it was. 2 days later I was in the middle of nowhere when oil pressure alert finally stayed on long enough to see what it was. Stopped at the only gas station for miles and got a quart of oil. Ended up having to buy 2 more because it was bone dry. Apparently was minutes from my car shutting down, again, in the middle of nowhere.

Oil consumption test "was fine." Told me to check my oil every 1000 miles or so. First check was Saturday and I was down about 2/3 of a quart, and the oil was dirty. Took it to the Toyota dealer Monday and they say it's fine, and that after 2300 miles " the oil wasn't THAT dirty." My warranty expires in June and I am LIVID. THEY KNOW MY CAR'S FATE AND THEY CATEGORICALLY REFUSE TO SAY ANYTHING'S WRONG?? 80K miles and my high tech hybrid burns as much oil as an old Ford pickup?? I paid extra for a "certified" Toyota and this is what I get??

I'm shocked that they A) haven't done an extended warranty on this as they obviously know the cause and how to fix it and B) that there isn't a class action law suit about this--this is completely unacceptable!!!

L

Luis36526

Just bought a beautiful used 2012 Prius V Five. Pearl white. Love this car. Only 4,000 miles on it since buying. It's at 140,000 miles now. Was making an odd noise so I checked the oil. Practically nothing on the dipstick. Topped off with 2 quarts and it quieted down. But, holy crap. Previous vehicle was a 2011 Durango with 200,000 miles and I was going 7,500 miles AT LEAST between changes. This is a huge upset for me. I'm now scared if any damage occured. Really hoping for Toyota to step up and handle this. What should I run in this in the meantime? 10w40???

L

LauraB

2012 Prius IV here. About 1000 miles from my last oil change (End of november) a yellow alert started flashing on curves but disappeared so fast I couldn't see what it was. 2 days later I was in the middle of nowhere when oil pressure alert finally stayed on long enough to see what it was. Stopped at the only gas station for miles and got a quart of oil. Ended up having to buy 2 more because it was bone dry. Apparently was minutes from my car shutting down, again, in the middle of nowhere.

Oil consumption test "was fine." Told me to check my oil every 1000 miles or so. First check was Saturday and I was down about 2/3 of a quart, and the oil was dirty. Took it to the Toyota dealer Monday and they say it's fine, and that after 2300 miles " the oil wasn't THAT dirty." My warranty expires in June and I am LIVID. THEY KNOW MY CAR'S FATE AND THEY CATEGORICALLY REFUSE TO SAY ANYTHING'S WRONG?? 80K miles and my high tech hybrid burns as much oil as an old Ford pickup?? I paid extra for a "certified" Toyota and this is what I get??

I'm shocked that they A) haven't done an extended warranty on this as they obviously know the cause and how to fix it and B) that there isn't a class action law suit about this--this is completely unacceptable!!!

This is EXACTLY what has happened to me. 2012 Prius IV that I love- it's what redeemed the fact that my old car was stolen. I bought it just over two years ago, I get the oil changed ever 5k miles. All of a sudden, a little over a month ago, around 109,000 miles, I get the warning light on sharp turns that I could never catch because it was on and off so fast. Finally, I spotted it, looked it up, and low and behold, we were almost dry on a road trip. Put 5 quarts in, got my oil changed the following week, mechanic found no leak.

Then the light flashes again this past weekend (a month out from the last oil change). I take it in today and my mechanic says I should just cut my losses and get rid of it before this gets worse. He found the Toyota Service Bulletin and several of these forums (not a dealership). I'm heartbroken and so angry to see that this is clearly an issue! I'm not afraid of being a squeaky wheel, so I will be filing a report once we've tracked the oil consumption, and am happy to join a class action lawsuit.

B

Beth

This is EXACTLY what has happened to me. 2012 Prius IV that I love- it's what redeemed the fact that my old car was stolen. I bought it just over two years ago, I get the oil changed ever 5k miles. All of a sudden, a little over a month ago, around 109,000 miles, I get the warning light on sharp turns that I could never catch because it was on and off so fast. Finally, I spotted it, looked it up, and low and behold, we were almost dry on a road trip. Put 5 quarts in, got my oil changed the following week, mechanic found no leak.

Then the light flashes again this past weekend (a month out from the last oil change). I take it in today and my mechanic says I should just cut my losses and get rid of it before this gets worse. He found the Toyota Service Bulletin and several of these forums (not a dealership). I'm heartbroken and so angry to see that this is clearly an issue! I'm not afraid of being a squeaky wheel, so I will be filing a report once we've tracked the oil consumption, and am happy to join a class action lawsuit.
Laura - EXACT same thing happened to me with my 2013 Prius. How's your car running currently?. Any updates on a class action lawsuit that you know of?

L

Leanne

Wow, have a 2014 Prius plug-in at 174k and am in the same boat! If anyone has any news, please update.

T

Tena

I am in the same boat, too... my 2014 toyota prius suddenly has this at 150,000 miles, and 2 different places (dealer and a different garage) all say that a new engine is needed sooner than later and will be $7000. Is the class action suit already done?

D

Disappointed

2010 Prius IV with oil consumption at 160k miles. Toyota did us dirty knowing this was an issue and not owning up to fix their mistakes. Not buying another Toyota and this was our third after Tacoma and 4Runner.

H

Hunter

My 2014 is going through tons of oil suddenly... Hey Toyota, FIX OUR CARS!!!
I had the same issue but with a 2014 camry sold it back to the dealer.. I boight the car brand new from them back in 2014 sold it in 2021. 140k miles it started consuming oil 2 quarts between oil changes 5k miles

J

Jon4

Start a class action then

J

Jon4

I am in the same boat, too... my 2014 toyota prius suddenly has this at 150,000 miles, and 2 different places (dealer and a different garage) all say that a new engine is needed sooner than later and will be $7000. Is the class action suit already done?
There is no lawsuit yet. Everyone complaining about it but no one actually taking action to start one.