2011-2016 Toyota Sienna Power Sliding Door Warranty Coverage for the Sliding Door Front ZH4

OishiiJPN

Staff member

***Please start by reading the Toyota Customer Support Program ZKI for full program information

Subject: Warranty Enhancement Program ZH4
2011 – 2016 Model Year Sienna Vehicles
Extension of Warranty Coverage for the Sliding Door Front Lock Assemblies

In our continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Warranty Enhancement Program to extend the warranty coverage for the sliding door front lock assemblies on certain 2011 – 2016 model year Sienna vehicles.

See Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 0244-17

Background:
Toyota has received a number of reports regarding sliding door front lock assemblies on certain 2011 – 2016 model year Sienna vehicles. In these reports, during the closing operation of the left and/or right side sliding door, the door would not completely close and latch due to corrosion on the latch lever pin of the door’s front lock assembly. Although the sliding door front lock assemblies are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is now extending the warranty coverage for repairs related to when, during the closing operation of the left and/or right side sliding door, the door would not completely close and latch due to corrosion on the latch lever pin of the door’s front lock assembly.

Warranty Enhancement Program Details:
This Warranty Enhancement Program provides additional warranty coverage to the vehicle’s sliding door front lock assemblies beyond the vehicle’s original “New Vehicle Limited Warranty”. The specific condition covered by this Warranty Enhancement Program is that, during the closing operation of the left and/or right side sliding door, the door does not completely close and latch due to corrosion on the latch lever pin of the door’s front lock assembly. If the condition is verified, the affected sliding door front lock assembly(s) will be replaced with a new one under the terms of this Warranty Enhancement Program.

The warranty coverage provided by this Warranty Enhancement Program is applicable for 9 years from the vehicle’s date of first use, regardless of mileage.

Covered Vehicles:

There are approximately 737,100 vehicles covered by this Warranty Enhancement Program. Approximately 3,600 vehicles covered by this Warranty Enhancement Program were distributed to Puerto Rico.

Owner Letter Mailing Date:
Toyota will begin to notify owners in August 2017 and notifications will be mailed over several months.

R

Richard Vann

My 2011 Sienna Limited exhibited exactly the issue that was illustrated in the YouTube video on the enhanced warranty site. In July 2017, I took the vehicle to the dealer, Toyota West in Columbus, Ohio, which time they removed a bearing on the motor that seemed to be causing the problem, and disconnected the motor, rendering the driver's side sliding door operation manual only. Additionally, the cable hangs up and the door will not latch open, which is a safety concern.

When I took the vehicle back to Toyota West to be inspected for the most recent warranty enhancements (ZH4 and ZH5), they inspected the vehicle and indicated that they would order the parts. I brought the vehicle back to be serviced the following week. The service writer called later that afternoon saying that they had basically done nothing to the vehicle. The issue they confirmed a week earlier could not be confirmed that day, so they would not replace the part and he told me that the motor malfunction, which was caused by the issue of the door not being able to close, was not covered, and that it would cost me around $2,000 to fix - even though they had actually ordered the motor as part of the warranty enhancement.

I am VERY disappointed with how this was handled. I have been a loyal Toyota customer for nearly 30 years and have been a loyal customer of Toyota West's service department for nearly that long. At the end of the day, I am still stuck with a driver side sliding door that is only manually operable, which does not stay open.

Please respond, either to this thread, or to me directly at richardvann@yahoo.com to let me know what Toyota is prepared to do to resolve this issue.

Respectfully,
Richard Vann