2011-2017 Toyota Highlander and Sienna Rear Hatch will not Open

Lewis

Staff member
If you have a 2014-2017 Toyota Highlander or a 2011-2017 Toyota Sienna with the Rear Hatch (Back Door) not opening, then you may want to see TSB 0232-17 and replace the latch assembly...

Some 2014 – 2017 model year Highlander/Highlander HV and 2011 – 2017 model year Sienna
vehicles equipped with a Power Back Door (PBD) may exhibit a condition in which the back door
latch does not release and the PBD cannot be opened from any switch (IP, key, back door), with
one or both of the following conditions:

Excessive force required to operate the manual back door latch release lever
also DTC B2250 may be present

This repair is covered under the Toyota Basic Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36
months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

The first step is to get the rear hatch open and with this post I hope to help you with this. There is a small access panel on the inside of the rear hatch that will allow you to work the latch mechanism....

i-H7K5XHD-M.jpg

i-JLgxbzH-M.jpg

i-ZSVHMHP-M.jpg

You can see the Hook Lever part of the mechanism is designed to pivot and push the lower lever to the left. This is what releases the door latch allowing it to open. Here is a pic showing the contact area....

i-TwkLXR2-M.jpg

You need to take a long straight pick and push the lower lever over to the left. What causes the failure on these is that hook lever will ride on top on the lower lever and push it down rather then over to the left. Here is a video of this in action....

J

Jim Stephen

This has been the only content I have found that follows my issue. Thank you! I was finally able to get the hatch open and now I either have to find a new part or try to get the hook back into place.