2012 Toyota Tacoma for Air Injection Pumps,Air Switching Valves CSP ZHA

OishiiJPN

Staff member
*** Please also see Please see Special Service Campaign 20TC01

Subject: Customer Support Program / Warranty Extension ZHA
2012 Model Year Tacoma Coverage for Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves

In our continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Customer Support
Program to provide coverage for Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves on certain 2012 model year Tacoma vehicles.

Background:
Toyota has received a number of reports regarding the Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves. In these reports, customers have experienced an illumination of the check engine light (Malfunction Indicator Light). This condition can be due to moisture/water in the Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves.

Although the Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36000 miles (whichever comes first) and by the California Emission Warranty for 7 years or 70,000 miles (whichever comes first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is providing coverage for repairs related to the Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves.

This Customer Support Program provides coverage as it applies to Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves. The specific condition covered by this program is the illumination of the check engine light (Malfunction Indicator Light) due to moisture/water in the Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves. If the condition is verified, the vehicle will be repaired with new Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves under the terms of this Customer Support Program.

The Primary Coverage is applicable until February 28, 2019 with no year/mileage limitation.

After the Primary Coverage period ends, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the date of first use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Covered Vehicles:
There are approximately 87,000 vehicles covered by this Customer Support Program. There are approximately 1,400 vehicles in Puerto Rico involved in this Customer Support Program.

Owner Letter Mailing Date:
Toyota will begin to notify owners in late-January and will be mailed over several months.

Refer to Warranty Policy Bulletin WPB# POL18-01 for additional information.
Technical instructions for this Customer Support Program can be found in TSB# T-SB-0333-17

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the condition?

Toyota has received a number of reports regarding the Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves. In
these reports, customers have experienced an illumination of the check engine light (Malfunction Indicator
Light).

This condition can be due to moisture/water in the Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves.
Although the Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited
Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first) and by the California Emission Warranty for 7
years or 70,000 miles (whichever comes first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience.
Toyota is providing additional customer support for repairs related to the Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves.

What are the Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves and what do they do??
The Air Injection Pumps and Switching Valves are parts of the vehicle emissions system. The Air
Injection system is designed to pump fresh air into the exhaust stream during a cold engine start; the
fresh air helps speed the catalytic converter warm up time to reduce cold start emissions.

What is Toyota going to do?
Toyota will send an owner notification by first class mail starting in late-January 2018, advising owners of this Customer Support Program.

If the owner experiences the condition described above, they should contact their local authorized Toyota
dealership for diagnosis. If the condition is verified, the dealer will replace the Air Injection Pump and Air
Switching Valves at NO CHARGE to the customer.

What are the details of this program?
This Customer Support Program provides coverage as it applies to Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching
Valves. The specific condition covered by this program is the indicated illumination of the check engine light
(Malfunction Indicator Light) due to moisture/water in the Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves. If
the condition is verified, the vehicle will be repaired with new Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves
under the terms of this Customer Support Program.

• The Primary Coverage is applicable until February 28, 2019 with no year/mileage limitation.
• After the Primary Coverage period ends, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the date of first use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Which part(s) are covered by this Customer Support Program?

The specific component(s) covered by this Customer Support Program is/are as follows:
• Air Injection Pumps
• Air Switching Valves
• Air Pump Cover

What if an owner HAS NOT experienced this condition but would like to have the repair completed?
This Customer Support Program only applies to vehicles that have exhibited the condition described above.
If an owner has not experienced the condition, he/she is asked to apply the notification label to the Owners
Warranty Information Booklet for future reference.

How long will the repair take?
The repair takes approximately one hour. However, depending upon the dealer’s work schedule, it may be
necessary to make the vehicle available for a longer period of time.

What if I previously paid for repairs related to this Customer Support Program?
Reimbursement consideration instructions will be provided in the owner letter.

What if I have additional questions or concerns?
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1888-270-9371 Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, Saturday 7:00 am to 4:30 pm Central Time.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Laura H

This morning my truck was hesitating and my check engine/off trac light was on. I drove immediately to a non Toyota dealer, they said the codes were P1604, P24442, P1603, air switching valve is bad and would cost $1400.00 for repairs. I called a Toyota dealer, I am bringing it to them tomorrow morning to have it rechecked under recall warranty. I sure hope it is covered. It is a 2012 Toyota Tacoma. Has anyone else had this issue.

B

BowWow

It happened to my truck July of last year. The car would not go above 40mph. At the time, the vehicle had 43,000 miles on it. It did not fall under the limited warranty (36,000 miles). I called Toyota and they basically told me I was SOOL. They told me to hold on to my receipts and that if it was recalled in the future I may be able to be reimbursed. Glad I did! I was told this isn't a "recall" so it will be handled differently.
I'm not expecting that I will be reimbursed the $1,200 I paid for the Toyota dealership to repair; but I will hold a little hope considering the truck would not function if the repair was not made.

A

AWS68

My 2012 Tacoma went into limp mode and would not go over 25 mph. This is dangerous, possibly deadly. I took my Tacoma to a Toyota dealer and the codes were P2441 & P2445. Air injection pump problem. My 2012 Tacoma is NOT one of the recalled trucks. When will Toyota fix this obvious problem ? After a "Wrongful death" lawsuit ? Or after spending Millions of dollars in legal fees ? Toyota can save their reputation and possibly many lives if they address and correct this obvious "accident waiting to happen".

OishiiJPN

Staff member
My 2012 Tacoma went into limp mode and would not go over 25 mph. This is dangerous, possibly deadly. I took my Tacoma to a Toyota dealer and the codes were P2441 & P2445. Air injection pump problem. My 2012 Tacoma is NOT one of the recalled trucks. When will Toyota fix this obvious problem ? After a "Wrongful death" lawsuit ? Or after spending Millions of dollars in legal fees ? Toyota can save their reputation and possibly many lives if they address and correct this obvious "accident waiting to happen".
Please fill out the NHTSA form here and make sure they know what happened. Thanks

A

AWS68

After over an hour on the phone explaining the problem, I talked to Derrik at Toyota Headquarters, . . . NO HELP. My Tacoma is out of the vin number range for the repairs. So, Good By Toyota, . . . forever !

P

Plom

I have the P2441 code and they wont replace it for me either. I cant afford 2000 for parts and labor!

P

Paul Hite

2012 Model Year Tacoma Coverage for Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves

In our continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Customer Support
Program to provide coverage for Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves on certain 2012 model year Tacoma vehicles.

Background:
Toyota has received a number of reports regarding the Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves. In these reports, customers have experienced an illumination of the check engine light (Malfunction Indicator Light). This condition can be due to moisture/water in the Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves.

Although the Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 3 years or 36000 miles (whichever comes first) and by the California Emission Warranty for 7 years or 70,000 miles (whichever comes first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is providing coverage for repairs related to the Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves.

This Customer Support Program provides coverage as it applies to Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves. The specific condition covered by this program is the illumination of the check engine light (Malfunction Indicator Light) due to moisture/water in the Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves. If the condition is verified, the vehicle will be repaired with new Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves under the terms of this Customer Support Program.

The Primary Coverage is applicable until February 28, 2019 with no year/mileage limitation.

After the Primary Coverage period ends, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the date of first use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Covered Vehicles:
There are approximately 87,000 vehicles covered by this Customer Support Program. There are approximately 1,400 vehicles in Puerto Rico involved in this Customer Support Program.

Toyota will begin to notify owners in late-January and will be mailed over several months.

Technical instructions for this Customer Support Program can be found in TSB# T-SB-0333-17

What is the condition?

Toyota has received a number of reports regarding the Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves. In
these reports, customers have experienced an illumination of the check engine light (Malfunction Indicator
Light).

This condition can be due to moisture/water in the Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves.
Although the Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves are covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited
Warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first) and by the California Emission Warranty for 7
years or 70,000 miles (whichever comes first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience.
Toyota is providing additional customer support for repairs related to the Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves.

The Air Injection Pumps and Switching Valves are parts of the vehicle emissions system. The Air
Injection system is designed to pump fresh air into the exhaust stream during a cold engine start; the
fresh air helps speed the catalytic converter warm up time to reduce cold start emissions.

Toyota will send an owner notification by first class mail starting in late-January 2018, advising owners of this Customer Support Program.

If the owner experiences the condition described above, they should contact their local authorized Toyota
dealership for diagnosis. If the condition is verified, the dealer will replace the Air Injection Pump and Air

This Customer Support Program provides coverage as it applies to Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching
Valves. The specific condition covered by this program is the indicated illumination of the check engine light
(Malfunction Indicator Light) due to moisture/water in the Air Injection Pumps and/or Air Switching Valves. If
the condition is verified, the vehicle will be repaired with new Air Injection Pumps and Air Switching Valves

• The Primary Coverage is applicable until February 28, 2019 with no year/mileage limitation.
• After the Primary Coverage period ends, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for 10 years from the date of first use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

The specific component(s) covered by this Customer Support Program is/are as follows:
• Air Injection Pumps
• Air Switching Valves
• Air Pump Cover

What if an owner HAS NOT experienced this condition but would like to have the repair completed?
This Customer Support Program only applies to vehicles that have exhibited the condition described above.
If an owner has not experienced the condition, he/she is asked to apply the notification label to the Owners

The repair takes approximately one hour. However, depending upon the dealer’s work schedule, it may be

If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1888-270-9371 Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, Saturday 7:00 am to 4:30 pm Central Time.
Last year I bought a 2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum with 145000 from the dealer. I asked them if it had ever been wrecked, had any problems it had been serviced for, set any trouble codes, or had the check engine light on. They assured me that it had not. They even promised to touch up the paint chips. One thing I didn't like was that they kept trying to convince me to buy the aftermarket warranty.

After paying $22k they handed me a bottle of red touch up paint that was not even the color of my vehicle & told me that I would have to do it myself. That was the beginning of my nightmare with this vehicle. Within the month my wife took it to jiffy lube for an oil change because a light on the dash came on. They did the oil change & checked everything, including scanning the computer for trouble codes. They gave her paperwork showing that it had many past instances of setting trouble codes & check engine light for the air injection system. Someone was clearing the codes to turn off the engine light, but the codes themselves cannot be erased, so there was a trail that shows that the dealer either lied about the vehicle before selling it to me.

My wife told me about the oil change but not about any problems they found. Two months ago it set another trouble code for the air injection system and the computer went into "limp home" mode. It has been setting in my pasture, undriveable, for the last two months because it is now at 154000 miles, 4000 miles over the extended warranty that I was never informed about.

It does not matter to Toyota that it had this problem when I bought it from the dealer & they lied to me about it, sold it to me without fixing the problem first, or that I have proof that it was experiencing this problem within the first month of my purchase & well within the warranty period. Toyota told me that the only thing that I can do is pay them about $4000 to repair it then ask them to reimburse me & hope that they will. They said that they probably won't reimburse me, but go ahead & pay them to fix it anyway. This is the first & last Toyota I will ever buy. I should not have to jump through hoops, or hire an attorney & sue them to fix their mistakes & lies.

R

Ron Gehret

I have a 2012 Tacoma with 128,000 miles and last week the check engine light came on and it wouldn't go over 40mph - and it took forever to get up to 40. I called the closest Toyota dealer (an hour away) and made an appointment for early this week. They diagnosed the P2441 and P2445 codes and said they'd have to keep it overnight until parts arrived but then fixed it at no cost to me. I am pleasantly surprised and impressed with the service I've gotten from Toyota. This is the first major problem I've had on a Toyota (the second one I've owned - the first ran over 300K miles without a problem) so I am definitely a Toyota customer for life.

T

Trevor

Does anybody know if this warranty extension applies in Canada? My 2012 Tacoma just threw codes p2440 and p2442 for the first time yesterday.

T

Thomas

Background:

Covered Vehicles:

What is the condition?

Light).

• Air Injection Pumps
• Air Switching Valves
• Air Pump Cover

I just had that happen to me

T

Thomas

I have a 2012 Tacoma and my check engine light came on and trac off light to. So i called a dealer near me 930 dollars for it. I have 71,000 miles on my truck. You can go on Amazon and get it for 364.00

M

Mary Ridley

Just had a 2012 Toyota Tacoma throw the codes. How do I find out if Toyota will cover the secondary coverage and replace this? 80,000+ miles.

R

Robert Fowler

Does anybody know if this warranty extension applies in Canada? My 2012 Tacoma just threw codes p2440 and p2442 for the first time yesterday.
Just brought my 2012 Tacoma in for same reason September 27, 2019. They replaced air pump and valves at no charge. My truck has 73,500km. This was in Newfoundland.

G

Gene Longo

Check Eng/Trac Off came on last Thursday on my 2012 Prerunner. My mechanic read the codes and told me the parts would be $2100. plus for the Air Injection System parts. He also told me about the Toyota Warranty Extension. Clearwater Toyota agreed to look at the truck Friday morning. They said that "yes the repair would be covered". The truck was ready at about 2:00 in the afternoon, no charge, thank you very much. They didn't even show how much it would have been without the warranty extension. Very classy I think.