2014-2015 Toyota Camry and Corolla Radio Touch Screen not working

Lewis

Staff member
Some 2014-2015 Toyota Camry, Camry Hybrid and Corolla vehicles may exhibit a partially inoperative radio touch screen (usually the lower right hand side) on vehicle with the base audio option. Updated head units (radio) are available through your Toyota Dealer.
Please see Technical Service Bulletin T-SB-0172-16

This repair is covered under the Toyota basic warranty which is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles.

S

Steve

Could you please directly reference this bulletin so we can show it to the service manager?

P

Paula

Some 2014-2015 Toyota Camry, Camry Hybrid and Corolla vehicles may exhibit a partially inoperative radio touch screen (usually the lower right hand side) on vehicle with the base audio option. Updated head units (radio) are available through your Toyota Dealer. Please see Technical Service Bulletin 0172-16

This repair is covered under the Toyota basic warranty which is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles.
Mine has never worked. I just assumed we were stupid. I'm out of warranty. That's great.

A

AmadorS

I have read many forums asking about this issue. If it was a known issue, why wasn't it recalled and corrected? Why does it have to be under warranty to have it fixed for free?

S

Son

I got a new phone, tried to pair it to my car, the add button doesn't work because the touch doesn't work on the lower part of the screen. I am at 38300miles. WTH. Took it to my local Toyota, and they said,"the warranty is the warranty". I was like WTH. They said they will call Toyota HQ and ask for a good faith repair. So we'll see in an hr. I can't believe it's a known issue, and they didn't do a recall etc. If they are not willing to cover the repair, I will go to Twitter, social media about this.

Lewis

Staff member
I have read many forums asking about this issue. If it was a known issue, why wasn't it recalled and corrected? Why does it have to be under warranty to have it fixed for free?
Recalls are only for safety related items, which the radio is not considered a safety item. Now, if enough Toyota owners have this issue and make their voice heard, Toyota may issue a warranty extension for this concern.

S

Son

I got a new phone, tried to pair it to my car, the add button doesn't work because the touch doesn't work on the lower part of the screen. I am at 38300miles. WTH. Took it to my local Toyota, and they said,"the warranty is the warranty". I was like WTH. They said they will call Toyota HQ and ask for a good faith repair. So we'll see in an hr. I can't believe it's a known issue, and they didn't do a recall etc. If they are not willing to cover the repair, I will go to Twitter, social media about this.

Update: The service consultant called me back an hr later saying that his foreman got Toyota to approve the radio. They will cover the radio ($800.00) + labor. He said,"my foreman spent 1hr trying to convince Toyota, please put a good yelp review for me"......oh please.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
Update: The service consultant called me back an hr later saying that his foreman got Toyota to approve the radio. They will cover the radio ($800.00) + labor. He said,"my foreman spent 1hr trying to convince Toyota, please put a good yelp review for me"......oh please.
Thanks for the follow up and sharing your experience with this Toyota Dealer. ;)

R

Ron Higdon

Add me to the list... 2014 Camry SE, lower part of touch pad suddenly quit working.

A

AmadorS

Where is your dealership at and what is your consultants name? I want to go to my local dealership and have some references. Thanks.

A

Anita

My Camry just started do this last week and just is out of warranty! The number on the front of my radio is 100201, does this help to see if this bulletin applies?

E

Elaine Scott

I thought it was just my radio that had that problem. I was looking everywhere on how to fix the problem. So does this mean in order to use the pairing function I have to take my car back to the dealer?

R

Robert P

Some 2014-2015 Toyota Camry, Camry Hybrid and Corolla vehicles may exhibit a partially inoperative radio touch screen (usually the lower right hand side) on vehicle with the base audio option. Updated head units (radio) are available through your Toyota Dealer. Please see Technical Service Bulletin 0172-16

R

Robert P.

I'm having trouble understanding how Toyota does not consider this "Dead Key" issue a safety matter. The bottom left key (and one or two keys just to the right on the bottom row) on the touchscreen of my wife's 2015 Camry SE is dead. Here's the issue - this is the "Add" key for adding a new phone to the Bluetooth function. Here older iphone 5 died and was replaced. Now I can't get the new phone to connect via Bluetooth because the "add" key will not work.
It seems driving hands-free is a much safer option than with the phone up to her face or dialing a call without the Bluetooth feature. I'm going to try the dealer once and report the matter to the NTSB if the matter can't be resolved. The car was purchased in March, 2015, but is approaching 56,000 miles.

I

Icarusrose

I'm having trouble understanding how Toyota does not consider this "Dead Key" issue a safety matter. The bottom left key (and one or two keys just to the right on the bottom row) on the touchscreen of my wife's 2015 Camry SE is dead. Here's the issue - this is the "Add" key for adding a new phone to the Bluetooth function. Here older iphone 5 died and was replaced. Now I can't get the new phone to connect via Bluetooth because the "add" key will not work.
It seems driving hands-free is a much safer option than with the phone up to her face or dialing a call without the Bluetooth feature. I'm going to try the dealer once and report the matter to the NTSB if the matter can't be resolved. The car was purchased in March, 2015, but is approaching 56,000 miles.
Mine is a 2015 Corolla same exact issue. I'm surprised that they haven't come up with a way to recalibrate the screen. Or reset the computer

B

bamaboy0165

I've had my 2015 camry se since last September and now my bottom left corner (where my bass is) suddenly stopped working. The bass up works for now, but the bass down doesn't work at all. Any ideas?

T

Toyota Owner

Thanks for sharing, I have the same issue with my 2014 Camry, New Phone cannot connect due to the Screen having issues.

mdfarazToyota

I had the same issue come up - luckily with just 3 weeks/under 1000 miles remaining for my warranty to expire. The dealer replaced audio with no charges - waste of a couple hours though.

GravyDog

Staff member
If someone could please post a video of this condition happening on YouTube, we would appreciate it. This would let other owners see what is happening.Thanks