1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Share it!! Hit that Like Button! Tweet It!!

2016-2017 Toyota Tundra Resin Rear Bumper Reinforcement Brackets Recall H0C

Discussion in 'Recalls' started by MG, Feb 6, 2017.

1. MG

MG Moderator Staff Member

Subject:
    Safety Recall H0C
    2016 - 2017 Model Year Tundra Resin Rear Bumper Reinforcement Brackets

Condition:
    The involved vehicles are equipped with resin rear step bumpers and reinforcement brackets at each corner. In the event of an impact to the corner of the bumper, the resin bracket may become damaged but not be noticed. If a person steps on the corner of the bumper that is damaged, a portion of it may break away, increasing the risk of injury.

Covered Vehicles:
    There are approximately 73,000 vehicles covered by this Safety Recall. Approximately 200 vehicles involved in this Safety Recall were distributed to Puerto Rico.

Owner Letter Mailing Date:
    Toyota will begin to notify owners in mid-February 2017

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the condition?
    The involved vehicles are equipped with resin rear step bumpers and reinforcement brackets at each corner. In the event of an impact to the corner of the bumper, the resin bracket may become damaged but not be noticed. If a person steps on the corner of the bumper that is damaged, a portion of it may break away, increasing the risk of injury.

Are there any warnings that this condition occurs?
    There are no advanced warnings prior to the occurrence of this condition. However, in some instances, damage to the rear bumper may be visible after an impact. To avoid the risk of injury, Toyota recommends that customers not step on the rear bumper until the remedy is complete.

What is Toyota going to do?
    Toyota is currently preparing the remedy for this condition. Until then, Toyota will send an interim owner notification by first class mail starting in mid-February, 2017. The interim notification will inform customers of the condition and that they will be informed again when the remedy becomes available.

The remedy, when available, will consist of replacing the resin reinforcement brackets with steel ones at
    NO CHARGE. The rear bumper pad and rear bumper plates will also be replaced.

What if I experience the condition before the remedy is available?
    If you notice any sign of damage or experience a breakage to the rear bumper reinforcement brackets at the corners of the bumper, contact your local authorized Toyota dealer for diagnosis and repair. If the condition is related to this Safety Recall, the repair will be performed at
    NO CHARGE.

Which and how many vehicles are covered by this Safety Recall?
    There are approximately 73,000 vehicles covered by this Safety Recall.

2. Dominic

Dominic Guest

Went this day to Toyota to get this recall remedied.
    It resulted in the Loss of an attachment I had installed before, the "Collapsible Side Step" which was mounted on first my 2014 Tundra, and then on my 2016.
    Not happy about it, as now, with box gate opened, it is more difficult to step into the box, to unload etc.
    I think this has been overlooked, and quick solved.
    Why couldn't a Bracket in Metal be provided that suited that option??
    Under investigation as I did ask for a Kaisen event to be done.

OishiiJPN likes this.
  3. OishiiJPN

OishiiJPN Administrator

That's a great point and thank you for bringing this situation up for other Tundra Owners. Please keep in mind that you do not have to have this recall performed if you elect not too.<<< (This is of course just my opinion)

4. Dom

Dom Guest

Hi,
    After several discussios, the matter has been resolved to my satisfaction