2016-2018 Toyota Tacoma Water Leak at Rear of Cab - Center High Mount Stop Lamp

MG

***This condition is now covered by a LSC (Limited Service Campaign) Please see

2016-2019 Toyota Tacoma 3rd Brake Light Water Leak Limited Service Campaign (LSC) 21TD03

Some 2016 – 2018 model year Tacoma vehicles equipped with an LED type center high mount stop lamp may exhibit a water leak into the rear of the cab. Upon closer inspection, it may become apparent that the water leak is coming from the space between the center high mount stop lamp and the body of the vehicle. Follow the Repair Procedure in bulletin T-SB-0055-18 Revision 2 to address this condition.

New Part Number 81570-04050

This repair is covered under the Toyota Basic Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

D

David Schroeder

Why would an item that is not affected by the amount of mileage you put on a vehicle have such a limited warranty? I've owned my vehicle for 41 months and have 110,000 miles on it. For a vehicle that has such a good reputation, by Toyota saying that the quality of is brake light is only good for 36 months or 36,000 miles is disappointing at best.

C

C. Magee

always wondered why is i went thru a car wash my back window leaked, now I know it is the 3rd brake light assembley!!! This sucks because Toyota apparently isn't going to do anything about it!!!

B

Bobby's world

2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD sport. Same issue. Leaked out of the moon roof I thought, But I took it into Toyota to fix it under warranty it was the 3rd break light. After 8 months and out of warranty I happened to notice the leak was no longer coming out of the moonroof but now coming out of the rear seat belt upper brackets left and right sides. Would not of noticed that accept my kids were with me at the car wash they got wet . Only when the seat belt was worn did a lot of water pour onto the young passengers instead of behind the panels on the walls of the truck.

Dealer says sorry not my problem. Toyota says sorry but hear is what you do. Pay a dealer to evaluate it again. Then you will know . No we won't guarantee we will fix it or even care that you will have to pay to get it fixed. No we don't care that it is damaging your very new truck. Also we will not put anything in writing that even acknowledges we know about this issue. We will send you an email that says have a nice day call us if you have any further questions. Well the good news is, other brands of trucks are out their.

Sad that I have owned Toyotas my whole life and never had any issues with any of them. Until now. I guess I will see if the other brands treat their loyal customers this way. Toyota I felt used to be the best small truck maker out their. I wonder what their motto will be now. I should have known it couldn't last for ever. Thanks for letting me vent.

J

James Ward

2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD sport. Same issue. Leaked out of the moon roof I thought, But I took it into Toyota to fix it under warranty it was the 3rd break light. After 8 months and out of warranty I happened to notice the leak was no longer coming out of the moonroof but now coming out of the rear seat belt upper brackets left and right sides. Would not of noticed that accept my kids were with me at the car wash they got wet . Only when the seat belt was worn did a lot of water pour onto the young passengers instead of behind the panels on the walls of the truck.

Dealer says sorry not my problem. Toyota says sorry but hear is what you do. Pay a dealer to evaluate it again. Then you will know . No we won't guarantee we will fix it or even care that you will have to pay to get it fixed. No we don't care that it is damaging your very new truck. Also we will not put anything in writing that even acknowledges we know about this issue. We will send you an email that says have a nice day call us if you have any further questions. Well the good news is, other brands of trucks are out their.

Sad that I have owned Toyotas my whole life and never had any issues with any of them. Until now. I guess I will see if the other brands treat their loyal customers this way. Toyota I felt used to be the best small truck maker out their. I wonder what their motto will be now. I should have known it couldn't last for ever. Thanks for letting me vent.

J

James Ward

Dealing with the same bullshit right now. My truck has 46,000 miles on it and it is 3 years 1 month and 19 days old. Massive water leak through the third brake light, water damaged headliner all interior carpet, possible curtain airbag damage also, and they want me to pay $5,000 to fix it. Unfucking real.

J

Jerad Mack

Thanks for this video. I've gone through the steps and removed the old light. Any advice on how much to tighten the new one?

T

T Norville

2017 just rolled 39,000 and huge water leak around back window. My wife was sitting in the back and noticed during a heavy rain. Went to dealer, sorry out of warranty.

C

Carlos Sandoval

I noticed a musty smell on my truck now for the past few months, after some research come to find out it’s my 3rd brake light on my 2016 Tacoma, now what can I do before this becomes a health issue for my family and myself, I don’t want my family and kids to be exposed to mold, btw it’s out of the 3/36,000 warranty it has 39,000 miles, any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

J

J. Hasenbein

Just happened to me today sons first truck 2016 Tacoma TRD 4X4 with a leaking 3rd Brake light. Tacoma Dealership in Clarksville, TN said well yep it’s leaking yes we e known about it and tough shit.. Stand by your products Toyota!!

K

Kev

My 2016 TRD Sport 4x4 did it yesterday in a pretty good rain. Thankfully I was almost to my house so not a lot of water came in and was able to clean it up. Went to the dealer today AND called Toyota and same story as everyone else here: they know about but won't fix it. This is not a check engine light or an issue you can drive around with. This is my first Toyota and I like my truck, but it will probably be my last Toyota after this experience.

J

Jefferson TX

Just bought a 2016 with only 22K. 2 weeks in and after a drive thru carwash my headliner is trashed from massive wetness and rear seats are prob the same. Unreal if they wont cover this. Truck will instantly be for sale!! Sorry Next buyer.....

J

J Jarrison

Same here, 2016 Tacoma, leak at the 3rd brake light. I guess I’ll be finished with Toyota if the won’t fix it. They know it’s a problem

P

Paul R.

What if I have had it fixed twice for that same problem (water leaking in through the third light) and it is doing it again? Am I still covered? I am on my third headliner in a 2017 Tacoma and this one is wet and trashed.

B

Brian PA

About how much would dealer charge to replace the gasket? No damage to the headliner is apparent, just a leak around the 3rd tail light.

A

Alan P.

I have a 2016 Tacoma. Noticed leak at 32,000 miles. Went immediately to dealer and said not covered by warranty. Would cost me close to $600 to repair. Could not believe this @#$%! Told them where to go and left. Decided to repair myself. Like my truck but wish Toyota or the dealer would make it right.

S

Steve

What if I have had it fixed twice for that same problem (water leaking in through the third light) and it is doing it again? Am I still covered? I am on my third headliner in a 2017 Tacoma and this one is wet and trashed.
I'm at second time has not been one year since they fixed it last .

K

Kyle

Fred Anderson Toyota in Raleigh quoted me $800 to get it fixed earlier this morning. I asked why a known defect that has nothing to do with the mileage isn’t covered by Toyota and even my service technician agreed it was bullshit.

About how much would dealer charge to replace the gasket? No damage to the headliner is apparent, just a leak around the 3rd tail light.

D

Dan Baker

Fred Anderson Toyota in Raleigh quoted me $800 to get it fixed earlier this morning. I asked why a known defect that has nothing to do with the mileage isn’t covered by Toyota and even my service technician agreed it was bullshit.

I went to my local Toyota dealer to see if they would fix this issue. They wanted to charge an hours time to evaluate the problem before they would charge $550 to fix it. I have filed a formal complaint with the NTSB for health and safety issues. Toyota was nice enough to provide the link, but nothing else. I should’ve bought the Chevy I was looking at since Toyota doesn’t stand behind their products.