2016-2018 Toyota Tacoma with Rear Brake Pulsation Vibration

MG

If you have a 2016-2018 Toyota Tacoma and are experiencing a brake vibration (pulsation) especially in the rear, check the diameter on the axle hub to drums. They may not be centering. Your Tacoma may have a bad axle due to tolerances. You may also see that the drum looks overheated. We have been replacing the axle and drum as a set. HTH

EDIT- Toyota has issued a Technical Service Bulletin on this condition. See TSB 0023-18

*** OBSOLETE NOTICE
March 4, 2019: This bulletin is now obsolete. Please see T-SB-0023-19

This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for
60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date

J

Jason

I have this issue with my 17 Tacoma,could you go a little more into detail on what exactly to measure.Thank you

J

Jeremy

If you have a 2016-2018 Toyota Tacoma and are experiencing a brake vibration (pulsation) especially in the rear, check the diameter on the axle hub to drums. They may not be centering. Your Tacoma may have a bad axle due to tolerances. You may also see that the drum looks overheated. We have been replacing the axle and drum as a set. HTH

EDIT- Toyota has issued a Technical Service Bulletin on this condition. See TSB 0023-18

This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for
60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date
This is exactly what's happening with my 17 Tacoma. Taken it in 4 times, no fix. Where can I locate this TSB? I can't find it anywhere.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
This is exactly what's happening with my 17 Tacoma. Taken it in 4 times, no fix. Where can I locate this TSB? I can't find it anywhere.
The easiest place is www.techinfo.toyota.com Yes, there is small fee (don't complain) but you can print out as much as you want for 2 full days. That's a pretty cheap Haynes type repair manual if you ask me. ;)

F

Falcondriver

I had the same problem at 3000 miles. Dealer turned drums which worked for another 2500 miles. Vibration came back and they replaced the rear drums. Now, after 14000 miles the vibration came back. I thought maybe it was the self adjusters so I backed the vehicle hard in the driveway and braked to a stop hard about 4 times. The vibration is gone and has not come back. My take is the self adjusters may not be operating as they are supposed to and by using the parking brake or braking hard to a stop in reverse is reduces the clearance from the brake shoe to the drum and thus prevents a vibration setting up. I am curious if anyone else has a thought on this?