Status
Not open for further replies.

MG

Also please consider supporting us if you would like us to be able to help other Toyota Owners. Thanks!

**** Toyota has issued a Recall on this concern. Please see this post...

If you have a 2018 and up Toyota Camry (Tacoma) then you may experience a Low Braking Power message on the instrument cluster. Here is an example of someone confused by what is happening with the vehicle. A simple understanding of this system would've helped in this situation.

The problem is that Toyota started using a vacuum pump on some of their engines in order to compensate for the low vacuum produced by the Dual (VVT) Variable Valve Timing system. These pumps are now considered to be a maintenance replacement item at 120,000 miles, just like spark plugs. This is how one works...

When they go bad and stop producing vacuum, you will see a message along with a very hard to stop vehicle. It will be very unsafe to drive.

i-xGtSJLN-L.jpg

To check for vacuum, remove this hose at the brake booster while the engine is running and you should feel suction being applied to your thumb...

i-2N88kgq-L.jpg

They are not very hard to replace so I have provided a few pics so you can see what the job entails...

i-9TskBVd-L.jpg

Here is a closer look at the area...

i-7R96V7F-L.jpg

Removing the battery is necessary for more room to work...

i-BqB29Wx-L.jpg

i-vj5B8b3-L.jpg

There are 5 electrical connectors and 2 hoses that when removed, will help give you room to get the old pump out....

i-VPRGgms-L.jpg

There are just three 8 mm bolts that hold the pump in place. They are the black in color with 2 on the upper left and 1 just slightly hidden on the lower right side..

i-XKVm57x-L.jpg

Here is a picture of the new pump showing the 3 bolt hole locations..

i-KzmHKx9-L.jpg

Removal...

i-Cms5fRQ-L.jpg

i-NXpqb74-L.jpg

i-JKVMz7G-L.jpg

You will have to transfer over this piece....

i-mV3gMG9-XL.jpg

i-HnD8tgK-L.jpg

Make sure that you clean off all the oil residue before installing the new pump...

i-L58SmZN-L.jpg

i-bdjpCkd-X2.jpg

Here is what the inside of the pump looked like...

i-ntDXnhq-L.jpg

This one was not rebuildable so the unit was replaced. There are rebuild kits available like these, that can be used. I have not tried one so I cannot give you any advice in this area....

Vacuum Pump Reseal Rebuild Kit

D

David Fusco

I am running a fleet of about 60 2018 Camry's. I have replaced 10 Vacuum Pumps in the past 8 months, 5 of the ten when removing the pump we have noticed that at some point when the pump malfunctioned, it broke off the end of the cam shaft. Has anyone experienced this?

OishiiJPN

Staff member
I am running a fleet of about 60 2018 Camry's. I have replaced 10 Vacuum Pumps in the past 8 months, 5 of the ten when removing the pump we have noticed that at some point when the pump malfunctioned, it broke off the end of the cam shaft. Has anyone experienced this?
Yes, we are seeing this at the Toyota Dealer also...

T

Tariq

Hey guys I own a 2018 camry se. I had the same issue day before yesterday I was driving on the road all of sudden lost all the brakes I mean no power at all. Luckily there was not much traffic and I did stop the car somehow. It’s at Toyota dealer right now. They r telling me something about camshaft problem. I am confused about it. I am not a mechanic but I would love to know if camshaft has anything to do with break system. Brake light is on. Car starts and it moves but brake Padel is too hard so it’s very difficult to stop the dar. Can anyone advice?? ……Thanks.

F

Fatnblk

Hey guys I own a 2018 camry se. I had the same issue day before yesterday I was driving on the road all of sudden lost all the brakes I mean no power at all. Luckily there was not much traffic and I did stop the car somehow. It’s at Toyota dealer right now. They r telling me something about camshaft problem. I am confused about it. I am not a mechanic but I would love to know if camshaft has anything to do with break system. Brake light is on. Car starts and it moves but brake Padel is too hard so it’s very difficult to stop the dar. Can anyone advice?? ……Thanks.
I lost brakes in my 18 xse while doing Uber. When I took it to Toyota they told me it was an electrical problem and that I would need to replace the wire harness. They quoted me at nearly $6,000.

R

Ruby R.

My 2018 Camry LE has been sitting at my place for about 5 months now. And Toyota said they still don't have a solution. Are any of you being told the same thing?

O

odv

Also please consider supporting us if you would like us to be able to help other Toyota Owners. Thanks!

**** Toyota has issued a Recall on this concern. Please see this post...

If you have a 2018 and up Toyota Camry (Tacoma) then you may experience a Low Braking Power message on the instrument cluster. Here is an example of someone confused by what is happening with the vehicle. A simple understanding of this system would've helped in this situation.

The problem is that Toyota started using a vacuum pump on some of their engines in order to compensate for the low vacuum produced by the Dual (VVT) Variable Valve Timing system. These pumps are now considered to be a maintenance replacement item at 120,000 miles, just like spark plugs. This is how one works...

When they go bad and stop producing vacuum, you will see a message along with a very hard to stop vehicle. It will be very unsafe to drive.

i-xGtSJLN-L.jpg

To check for vacuum, remove this hose at the brake booster while the engine is running and you should feel suction being applied to your thumb...

i-2N88kgq-L.jpg

They are not very hard to replace so I have provided a few pics so you can see what the job entails...

i-9TskBVd-L.jpg

Here is a closer look at the area...

i-7R96V7F-L.jpg

Removing the battery is necessary for more room to work...

i-BqB29Wx-L.jpg

i-vj5B8b3-L.jpg

There are 5 electrical connectors and 2 hoses that when removed, will help give you room to get the old pump out....

i-VPRGgms-L.jpg

There are just three 8 mm bolts that hold the pump in place. They are the black in color with 2 on the upper left and 1 just slightly hidden on the lower right side..

i-XKVm57x-L.jpg

Here is a picture of the new pump showing the 3 bolt hole locations..

i-KzmHKx9-L.jpg

Removal...

i-Cms5fRQ-L.jpg

i-NXpqb74-L.jpg

i-JKVMz7G-L.jpg

You will have to transfer over this piece....

i-mV3gMG9-XL.jpg

i-HnD8tgK-L.jpg

Make sure that you clean off all the oil residue before installing the new pump...

i-L58SmZN-L.jpg

i-bdjpCkd-X2.jpg

Here is what the inside of the pump looked like...

i-ntDXnhq-L.jpg

This one was not rebuildable so the unit was replaced. There are rebuild kits available like these, that can be used. I have not tried one so I cannot give you any advice in this area....

Vacuum Pump Reseal Rebuild Kit

Where does the pump get the oil from? Got the old one out and am wondering if i have to fill it up with oil before install.

R

Rebecca spates

My 2018 Camry breaking system failed and I immediately towed it to the shop to get fixed! The mechanic had no luck fixing it, I took it to Toyota they fixed it but when I left my breaks were still hard like when it failed. Then the lights came on saying breaking system malfunction take it to dealer! I just got it out of Toyota dealer again it malfunctioned again in 1 hour! My car won’t fix it’s been a month and a week getting repairs! What do I do any suggestions?? Please email me! Thanks
Where does the pump get the oil from? Got the old one out and am wondering if i have to fill it up with oil before install.

Status
Not open for further replies.