2019 Toyota Rav4 Abnormal Buzz Groan Farting Noise at 20 - 30 mph T-SB-0065-19

MG

This TSB is Obsolete. Please see T-SB-0019-20

Some 2019 model year RAV4 Adventure and Limited grade AWD vehicles may exhibit an abnormal buzz/groan noise from the front transfer case at 20 – 30 mph when accelerating from a stop and/or at 20 – 13 mph on deceleration after driving the vehicle for 15 – 20 minutes or more. This condition occurs with Normal drive mode selected during disconnect/connect timing of the AWD system. If you want to see the now Obsolete T-SB-0065-19 then look here.

*NOTE: This Service Bulletin ONLY applies to 2019 model year RAV4 Adventure and Limited grade vehicles with torque vectoring AWD system.

The fix is to R & R Transfer Case Electro-magnetic Clutch Assembly.

This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

D

Danielle W

Some 2019 model year RAV4 vehicles may exhibit an abnormal buzz/groan noise at 20 – 30 mph when accelerating from a stop and/or at 13 – 20 mph on deceleration after driving the vehicle for 15 – 20 minutes or more. This condition occurs with Normal drive mode selected during disconnect/connect timing of AWD system. Follow the Repair Procedure in bulletin T-SB-0065-19 to address this condition.

*NOTE: This Service Bulletin ONLY applies to 2019 model year RAV4 Limited and Adventure grade vehicles with Torque Vectoring AWD System.

This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

I just had this repair done. They had my truck a week and when I drove it home it made the noise again!!!

J

John Dart

Some 2019 model year RAV4 vehicles may exhibit an abnormal buzz/groan noise at 20 – 30 mph when accelerating from a stop and/or at 13 – 20 mph on deceleration after driving the vehicle for 15 – 20 minutes or more. This condition occurs with Normal drive mode selected during disconnect/connect timing of AWD system. Follow the Repair Procedure in bulletin T-SB-0065-19 to address this condition.

*NOTE: This Service Bulletin ONLY applies to 2019 model year RAV4 Limited and Adventure grade vehicles with Torque Vectoring AWD System.

Hi,

My wife has the very same issue with her Limited. We have been to the dealer twice and she has spoken with a Toyota Service Rep
a few times, but with no solution. She also persued the Lemon Law and Toyota shut her down. She loves the car, except for this damn
noise. What actions have you taken since this video? We have not heard a word from the dealer or Toyota regarding a fix.

J

Joe Cicio

Thank You for your video . I am addressing this farting issue with our dealer . My wife thinks thinks that this 2019 Rav is haunted . We have had many Toyotas and this one makes funny noises . Will keep you posted

G

Gary Rodgers

Thanks for posting this issue. We have a 2019 Limited with the exact same problem. We just noticed it recently when for the first time we had the radio off. I recently mentioned to the repair rep at a 10,0000 mile oil change, etc. and he had no idea what I was talking about and the issue was not addressed. I will be playing your video when I return. You posted last October, has the issue been resolved?

G

Grace L.

I'm having problems with the noise too - I recorded it (grounding sound, yes, farting, or burping noises too) on a voice recorder, documented every move when it made the sound, and at what point on the recorder. Next week, I have an appointment and will go with what has been happening. I reported it the last oil change and they (Service) couldn't hear it, but did note it. How do you explain those sounds/noises? I have been a Toyota customer since the late 1970's. I love my Toyotas and love the Adventure, except for this. EVERYONE notices it. I have grandchildren I am driving around with so I am REALLY concerned.

G

Gary P

I had the clutch assembly replaced on my 2019 RAV4 yesterday at a Toyota dealership. The service manager knew immediately what the problem was. I have about 25K on the vehicle. I had been hearing a buzzing sound when driving about 20 mph. Replacement took about 3 hours.

R

Roland Sasser

My 2019 Rav-4 Limited AWD also makes noises like a groan. Informed the service department but they could not replicate any noise. I doubt they took it out for a spin.

C

Chico kemraj

This TSB is Obsolete. Please see T-SB-0019-20

Some 2019 model year RAV4 Adventure and Limited grade AWD vehicles may exhibit an abnormal buzz/groan noise from the front transfer case at 20 – 30 mph when accelerating from a stop and/or at 20 – 13 mph on deceleration after driving the vehicle for 15 – 20 minutes or more. This condition occurs with Normal drive mode selected during disconnect/connect timing of the AWD system. If you want to see the now Obsolete T-SB-0065-19 then look here.

*NOTE: This Service Bulletin ONLY applies to 2019 model year RAV4 Adventure and Limited grade vehicles with torque vectoring AWD system.

K

kspon

Has anyone actually had this issue successfully taken care of ? I leave in 30 minutes for the garage to have this exact issue addressed on my 2019 Adventure model and after reading through the previous entries on this board, I'm really only expecting to be disappointed. I love the vehicle otherwise, until it started making these noises around 14,000 miles.

J

Jaime

Has anyone actually had this issue successfully taken care of ? I leave in 30 minutes for the garage to have this exact issue addressed on my 2019 Adventure model and after reading through the previous entries on this board, I'm really only expecting to be disappointed. I love the vehicle otherwise, until it started making these noises around 14,000 miles.
I had my 2019 adventure in today, and they told me they didn’t hear it. Even with me showing them the service bulletin. So i will be going back in morning and having someone ride with me. I tried to explain it only happens after driving for a few…but per my Toyota app, they only drove it 3 miles.

OishiiJPN

Staff member
I had my 2019 adventure in today, and they told me they didn’t hear it. Even with me showing them the service bulletin. So i will be going back in morning and having someone ride with me. I tried to explain it only happens after driving for a few…but per my Toyota app, they only drove it 3 miles.
Please get the Service Manager involved with this concern as well as take a ride with the technician. Make sure you can duplicate the noise for them to hear.

J

Jaime

Please get the Service Manager involved with this concern as well as take a ride with the technician. Make sure you can duplicate the noise for them to hear.
Thank you. That is the plan today. The frustrating thing is i printed the service bulletin for them which clearly states it happens after 15-20 min of driving, and they drove it for maybe a min or 2 only.

A

AWArnold

My car only did it after at least 30 mins of driving. So I went on a loooong test drive with the service dept head. and he finally heard it about 35 mins in. Toyota has extended it to cars up to 125k miles. See https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10184543-9999.pdf