2020-2021 Toyota Corolla Models Sloshing or Splashing Noise Caused by Water Inside Doors T-SB-0121-20

MG

Please see TSB T-SB-0121-20

Applicability:
2019 - 2021 Corolla Hatchback
2020 - 2021 Corolla, Corolla Hybrid

Introduction:
Some 2020 – 2021 model year Corolla and Corolla Hybrid vehicles, and some 2019 – 2021 model year Corolla Hatchback vehicles may exhibit a sloshing or splashing noise when turning at low speeds or when opening and closing doors. This can be caused by water inside one or more of the vehicle doors. Follow the Repair Procedure in this bulletin to address this condition.

Warranty Information:
Remove and Partially Replace the Door Dust Seals

APPLICABLE WARRANTY:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Basic Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
Warranty application is limited to occurrence of the specified condition described in this bulletin.

Repair Procedure:
1. Confirm the condition exists. Does the vehicle exhibit a sloshing or splashing noise when turning at low speeds or when opening and closing doors?
YES — Continue to step 2.
NO — This bulletin does NOT apply. Continue diagnosis using the applicable Repair Manual.
2. Remove the dust seals from the bottom of each door and allow the water to completely drain.

3. Prepare eight of the removed dust seals for reinstallation. Clean ANY dust, dirt, or debris from eight of the twelve removed dust seals

4. Clean the doors and reinstall the eight dust seals.
A. Once the water has completely drained from each door, wipe the bottom surface of the doors at each dust seal location to ensure no obstructions are present for installation.
B. Reinstall two dust seals per door at the locations indicated.

5. Discard the four dust seals that are no longer required and confirm the condition no longer exists.

D

Denise Breit

What are you doing about taking the door panels off, checking for rust, cleaning, and/or replacing said doors if structural integrity is impacted?

AutoMod

Staff member
Y

Yatz

The car is defective, now I have to remove the seals every time it rains. If the water gets stuck in there is going to cause rust issues. You should replace or seal the doors properly.

G

GOFUCKYOURSELF

What a joke, I’ve never heard of this problem before in my life. And now what I have to remove the tabs on my own? This is a god damn defect, shouldn’t be threads in this BS topic. Take your car in to Toyota and show them what the fuck is up, completely and utterly ridiculous.

D

DJ G

Does an extended warranty cover this type of repair, no one from Toyota Dealership sent anything to me about this. Big defect!

MG

Does an extended warranty cover this type of repair, no one from Toyota Dealership sent anything to me about this. Big defect!
it will depending on what type of extended warranty your have, Bronze plan, Silver plan, Platinum plan. Or you can simply remove the plugs from the door yourself. Here is an example...

M

MiikeyV

No and also possibly yes. This condition will be covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty as stated in T-SB-0121-20. Just schedule an appointment with your Toyota Dealer and have it taken care of. If your Corolla is out of the 3/36,000 then yes you will need to remove them yourself. :)
I'm not sure why people are still writing about this after viewing this bulletin, thank you.

T

Tara D

Thanks for the question. Since these Corollas are so new and that when we see them with this condition, the mileage is so low, we really only need to follow the TSB (T-SB-0121-20) instructions. Personally, I have seen about 5 or 6 of these and they were straight forward repairs. Remove the seals, clean then remove any debris, dust or dirt and reinstall the eight seals.

Also please consider supporting us if you would like us to be able to help other Toyota Owners. Thanks!
To clarify: is water supposed to run into the interior of the doors during rainstorms and then drain out? I understand the explanation of removing the dust seals to allow water to drain, but it doesn’t seem normal to have water running into the doors. Over time, I expect that will cause damage to electronics and the interior of the door.

T

Tara D

Thanks for the question. Since these Corollas are so new and that when we see them with this condition, the mileage is so low, we really only need to follow the TSB (T-SB-0121-20) instructions. Personally, I have seen about 5 or 6 of these and they were straight forward repairs. Remove the seals, clean then remove any debris, dust or dirt and reinstall the eight seals.

Also please consider supporting us if you would like us to be able to help other Toyota Owners. Thanks!
What we also need to know is how to stop the water intrusion in the first place. I mean, thanks for instructions on draining the water, but it can’t be okay to have water entering the door in the first place. How do we stop that??

A

Anna

What we also need to know is how to stop the water intrusion in the first place. I mean, thanks for instructions on draining the water, but it can’t be okay to have water entering the door in the first place. How do we stop that??
My 2020 Corolla also has water sloshing around in the door and a horrible damp smell. Would love to know how to prevent this happening.

M

Marsha

it will depending on what type of extended warranty your have, Bronze plan, Silver plan, Platinum plan. Or you can simply remove the plugs from the door yourself. Here is an example...

Thank you so much!!!

V

Vanessa G.

This is my question exactly. I understand it is an easy fix, but eventually I JUST KNOW if this continues to happen, there will be some sort of deterioration/ damage in my vehicle or the sound system. And I also know that to get it fixed it will cost a good amount of money. What can we do to protect ourselves from having to be responsible for these damages. I mean, I bought this car from the lot BRAND NEW because I wanted to not have to worry about silly stuff like this in a used car, and what do you know?

P

PhilB

You can't stop water entering the door if you've got wind down windows. It's not a problem as long as it drains out the bottom. Plastic sheeting in the door keeps it off the electronics, and the inside of modern car doors is well rust-proofed.

L

Lisa

What needs to be answered is why this is only happening on the hybrids and one other model!! This is insane when there are so many other models with no problem. Surely the body is built the same as any other. I find this to be completely unacceptable and was not told about this!
I have had many Toyota's and this has never been an issue. I am super pissed off! It should be covered for the life of the car its just another example of a car company being cheap!

R

Roberta

The car is defective, now I have to remove the seals every time it rains. If the water gets stuck in there is going to cause rust issues. You should replace or seal the doors properly.
Totally agree! Won't be buying from Toyota again

P

Philbert

No and also possibly yes. This condition will be covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty as stated in T-SB-0121-20. Just schedule an appointment with your Toyota Dealer and have it taken care of. If your Corolla is out of the 3/36,000 then yes you will need to remove them yourself. :)
You can't stop water entering the door if you've got wind down windows. It's not a problem as long as it drains out the bottom. Plastic sheeting in the door keeps it off the electronics, and the inside of modern car doors is well rust-proofed.
Exactly. It's a simple fix to remove a drain plug. If you've never had this happen before, then you likely had cars with the plugs already removed if they were ever there to begin with. I own a 2020 hatchback and removed 1 plug from each door, no big deal. I also own a 2019 Honda that has 2 drain holes per door with no plugs installed. Calm yourselves, grab some pliers, pull out 1 drain plug from each of the doors and move on with life.