MG

*** Toyota has issued a fix for this noise in T-SB-0048-22. Please see this Post here. ***

If you have a 2021 Toyota Highlander with a whistle noise starting around 45mph, then you may want to replace the hood seal. Allegedly there us a new design but will still have the old part number. You can tape off the hood to see if the noise goes away for confirmation.

i-QVjNB2s-M.jpg

S

Steven C.

Whistling noise in cabin resolved. No mirror or hood seal. Resolution: Fresh air box door located behind the glove box was not sealed all the way due to broken servo. Issue is not resolved.

L

LarryC916

Whistling noise in cabin resolved. No mirror or hood seal. Resolution: Fresh air box door located behind the glove box was not sealed all the way due to broken servo. Issue is not resolved.
Do you have photos of the Air box whistling issue ?? Thanks

S

Sergio

If you have a 2021 Toyota Highlander with a whistle noise starting around 45mph, then you may want to replace the hood seal. Allegedly there us a new design but will still have the old part number. You can tape off the hood to see if the noise goes away for confirmation.

i-QVjNB2s-M.jpg

S

Sergio

Thank you, my Highlander is at the dealership to address this as well. Another case that was solved was related to the mirrors needing sealing and that solved the issue for them. I told this to my certified Toyota dealership, but what you mention could be as well the root issue.

Do you know if Toyota is aware of this issue? I will update this once I know more for my car.

Sergio

S

Sergio

Thank you, my Highlander is at the dealership to address this as well. Another case that was solved was related to the mirrors needing sealing and that solved the issue for them. I told this to my certified Toyota dealership, but what you mention could be as well the root issue.

Do you know if Toyota is aware of this issue? I will update this once I know more for my car.

Sergio
The technician at Toyota stated that they replaced hood to radiator seal. He test drove it today, and it seems that noise is gone. I will pick up the car tomorrow and confirm.

M

Moondust

Hi I have this issue as well. Taking mine to be fixed this week. Will update after I pick up.

H

HAB

Hi I have this issue as well. Taking mine to be fixed this week. Will update after I pick up.
Hi! I am having the same issue with my Highlander I bought last week. Following for your update on what they found. Thanks!

R

Robin

The technician at Toyota stated that they replaced hood to radiator seal. He test drove it today, and it seems that noise is gone. I will pick up the car tomorrow and confirm.
Look
Not sure if it was posted but I did buy a 2021 Highlander xle with same issue. dealer said Faulty Hood seal and it is on backorder more than 400 with toyota. I am guessing it is something with all of them.

for people looking for exact Part number is 533950E080 https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota__/Hood-Seal/91137894/533950E080.html

R

Robin

Did anyone get good results from peplacing the hood seal? Please help this is driving me nuts

G

Gml0781

Just bought my 2021 highlander xle Tuesday. I too hear the whistling noise. I took it to my dealership and they claimed they can't hear it but I showed them this forum. They are looking into it and wrote down the part number mentioned above for the hood seal. Strange thing is as soon as they handed my car back to me I heard it all the way home. My husband had trouble hearing it as well but to me it sounds like a teapot. Will update asap.

B

BarbosSergos

I did fix it by myself by installing some 1/2 inch double-sided tape under the rear edge of the hood seal. I did it by myself, because "Toyota Russia" doesn't recognize it as a defect and point me to contract of sale, where written that any wind noises are normal and won't be fixed by the dealer. Here how it looks like
Sorry for the quality of the pictures, did it at night on phone.

C

ChristopherPL

I did fix it by myself by installing some 1/2 inch double-sided tape under the rear edge of the hood seal. I did it by myself, because "Toyota Russia" doesn't recognize it as a defect and point me to contract of sale, where written that any wind noises are normal and won't be fixed by the dealer. Here how it looks like
Sorry for the quality of the pictures, did it at night on phone.
Could You upload the pictures again. unfortunately I don't see them

G

Gerard

Our 2021 was whistling when we left the dealer with it new. We went back the next day. They ordered a new front edge hood seal ( it was on "national back order") and after 5 weeks installed it. Whistling sound is gone

S

Steven G

Just purchased a 2022 limited hybrid HL Saturday. noticed this noise driving home. Very disappointed they haven't addressed this in the new model year.

M

Mike 2021

Thanks very much for the information. I saved me a lot of time (and painters tape) trying to pinpoint the source of that whistling noise. I applied the tape this morning and the whistling is now gone. I have my first service scheduled soon for my 2021 XLE and can have the dealer get the seal ordered.