2022 Toyota Tundra Panoramic View Monitor System Potential Failure to Display Rearview Image Recall 22TA07

Dread Pirate Roberts

Staff member
Please see Recall 22TA07

2022 Toyota Tundra Panoramic View Monitor System – Potential Failure to Display Rearview Image

On July 13th , 2022, Toyota filed a Non-compliance Information Report (NCIR) with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) informing the agency of our intent to conduct a voluntary Safety (Noncompliance) Recall on 2022 model year Tundra vehicles.

Condition:
In the affected vehicles, a software programming issue can cause the front camera image of the Panoramic View Monitoring (PVM) system to display instead of the rear camera image when the vehicle is placed into reverse position. If the rear camera image does not display after the vehicle is placed into reverse position, the vehicle will not comply with certain U.S. safety requirements and may increase the risk of a crash during a backing event.

Remedy:
Any authorized Toyota dealer will update the software in the Parking Assist ECU FREE OF CHARGE

Covered Vehicles:
There are approximately 32,428 vehicles covered by this Safety (Noncompliance) Recall. Approximately 443 vehicles involved in this Safety (Non-compliance) Recall were distributed to Puerto Rico.

Owner Letter Mailing Date:
Toyota will notify owners by late July 2022.

Salvage Title Vehicles:
Every attempt should be made to complete an open Safety Recall when circumstances permit, unless noted otherwise in the Safety Recall dealer letter.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the condition?

In the affected vehicles, a software programming issue can cause the front camera image of the Panoramic View Monitoring (PVM) system to display instead of the rear camera image when the vehicle is placed into reverse position. If the rear camera image does not display after the vehicle is placed into reverse position, the vehicle will not comply with certain U.S. safety requirements and may increase the risk of a crash during a backing event.

Are there any symptoms or warnings that the condition is present?
Owners may notice the image displayed on the main multimedia screen after shifting into reverse is actually an image from the front camera instead of the rear camera.

What should I do if I experience the condition?
If the condition is present, you may notice the image displayed on the main multimedia screen, after shifting into reverse, is actually an image from the front camera instead of the rear camera. If you experience this condition, , there are several different steps you can take to try to allow the camera system to reset and display the rearview image. First try to select the rearview camera function manually on the main multimedia screen. If the rear camera still does not display, you may also try shifting the vehicle to park, and then back to reverse. You may also try to shift the vehicle to park, turn the vehicle ignition off and back on again which may allow the camera system to work properly

What is Toyota going to do?
Toyota will send an owner notification by first class mail by late July 2022, advising owners to make an appointment with their authorized Toyota dealer to have the Parking Assist ECU software updated FREE OF CHARGE.

I previously received a letter, from Toyota regarding a software update for my vehicle, Safety Recall 22TA04. Do I still need to get this update completed?
Yes. Safety Recall 22TA04 involves a different condition than this Safety Recall. Even if you had the update for 22TA04 completed by your dealer, you also need to have this update completed. . If the software update for 22TA04 has not previously been completed, this update will remedy both conditions.

Which and how many vehicles are covered by this Safety (Non-compliance) Recall?
There are approximately 31,428 vehicles covered by this Safety (Non-compliance) Recall.

Are there any other Lexus/Toyota/Scion vehicles covered by this Safety (Non-compliance) Recall in the U.S.?
No, there are no other Lexus/Toyota/Scion vehicles covered by this Safety (Non-compliance) Recall. This condition is specific to certain 2022 Model Year Tundra vehicles with Parking Assist.

How long will the repair take?
The repair takes approximately 45 minutes. However, depending upon the dealer’s work schedule, it may be necessary to make the vehicle available for a longer period of time.

What if I previously paid for repairs related to this Safety (Non-compliance) Recall?
Reimbursement consideration instructions will be provided in the owner letter.

What if I have additional questions or concerns?
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact the Toyota Brand Engagement Center at 1-888-270-9371 Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 8:00 pm, Saturday 9:00 am to 7:00 pm Eastern Time.