Toyota 5VZ-FE Timing Belt marks 3.4L

Lewis

Staff member
The following thread will explain how we set up the Toyota 5VZ-FE Timing Belt marks when replacing the timing belt.

The first thing is that you know which Bank is #1 and which Bank is #2. Here is a reference...
Another tip is that we set the timing marks in place with the engine at TDC.

5VZ%20FE%20Engine2-L.jpg

These first marks are where you want to line up the crank pulley at TDC....

IMG_2151_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2152_cleaned2-L.jpg

Now when you take the crank pulley and last timing belt cover off, you will see the crankshaft TDC marks here....

IMG_2140_cleaned2-L.jpg

and a close up pic without the arrows.....

IMG_2141_cleaned-L.jpg

Now lets look at setting up the new timing belt. The new OEM Toyota timing belt will come with it's own marks on it. These marks serve as a Poka-yoke so that you can't get the marks lined up wrong.

Also note that Bank 1 is labeled as the R-Cam and Bank 2 is the L-Cam. The arrows also point to the front of the vehicle.

Here are the Bank 1 marks....

IMG_2143_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2144_cleaned2-L.jpg

Now for the Bank 2 marks....

IMG_2149_cleaned2-L.jpg

IMG_2148_cleaned2-L.jpg

As you can is this pic above, the white mark that was made at the factory does not line up with the groove that is on the cam gear. Line up the belt with the groove on the gear.

Last but not least, let's see the crank gear timing marks....

IMG_2137_cleaned2-L.jpg

and a close up pic without the arrows.....

IMG_2136_cleaned-L.jpg

Well that about wraps this one up. This post was just designed to show you how we did this job lining up the timing belt marks. Please consult a Toyota Dealer and/or the Toyota repair website www.techinfo.toyota.com for more information.

T

Taylor

May I suggest you tell people they need to compress the hydraulic actuated belt tensioner in order to get the belt on this form has everything except that and it would have saved me weeks of trouble. There is a tool you can buy to compress it and replace the pin to hold it or you can get a new hydraulic tensioner that has the pin alreadyy in place. If you are already replacing the belt you might as well do both. As well as water pump thermostat and other tensioner pulleys seals etc. their are a lot of cheap kits online for the whole job.

Lewis

Staff member
May I suggest you tell people they need to compress the hydraulic actuated belt tensioner in order to get the belt on this form has everything except that and it would have saved me weeks of trouble. There is a tool you can buy to compress it and replace the pin to hold it or you can get a new hydraulic tensioner that has the pin alreadyy in place. If you are already replacing the belt you might as well do both. As well as water pump thermostat and other tensioner pulleys seals etc. their are a lot of cheap kits online for the whole job.
Thanks for the suggestion and yes, I can add that tip. It's just that I was more interested on showing the timing marks and not the job. As you mention, there are entire timing belt kits available like this one...TBK Timing Belt Kit Toyota 5VZ-FE

I think the belt kits are way over kill but do come with a new belt tensioner which would negate the following tip since the tensioner is being replaced. Here is a video showing this job being performed and the tensioner is replaced at the 6:52 mark..

Now if you don't plan on replacing the tensioner, then this SST Tool made by Schley...
Schley (SCH97300) Toyota Timing Belt Tensioner Compressor

will come in handy. It slides in between the water pump pulley and the idler pulley, then you turn the nut till the pin can be inserted into the hydraulic tensioner hole.

SST%20Tool_cleaned-M.jpg

SST%20Tool2_cleaned-M.jpg

Leprechaun

I'm in the middle of doing this job currently and my notch on my crank shaft pulley is slightly to the right of the 0 mark.

Should I uninstall hydraulic tensioner and adjust crankshaft and reinstall timing belt, or am I good to go?
img_1596-jpg.1909298

Lewis

Staff member
I'm in the middle of doing this job currently and my notch on my crank shaft pulley is slightly to the right of the 0 mark.

Should I uninstall hydraulic tensioner and adjust crankshaft and reinstall timing belt, or am I good to go?
img_1596-jpg.1909298
Take a look at the pics above. Line up the marks on the belt with the marks on the 2 camshaft pulleys and the mark on the crankshaft pulley then you should be good. The marks on the back side generally don't line up perfectly

Leprechaun

Take a look at the pics above. Line up the marks on the belt with the marks on the 2 camshaft pulleys and the mark on the crankshaft pulley then you should be good. The marks on the back side generally don't line up perfectly
Backside meaning the notch above the pulley? I just pulled the hydraulic tensioner to adjust crankshaft and now I have the crankshaft TDC, the cam shaft pulley notches are lined up perfectly with the belt, but each of the cam shaft pulleys is slightly to the left of the notch behind the cam shaft....

Leprechaun

Got it all lined up now. ended up shifting the cams to the right slightly as they adjusted to the left under tension. Now I just have to figure out where this one random 12mm brass bolt goes....

C

Charlie Apple

Hi All,
I have a 98 T100 3.4l v6 and I need to remove the timing belt, but when I have the cam and crank pulleys at TDC, the crankshaft pulley isn’t on 0. In fact the groove on the pulley is @ 1 1/8” before that (which is a little off of the chart.) Why is it off and can I just switch out the timing belt on with that pulley off the mark?

J

Justen barraza

So my timing belt I bought has no marks and can't mark it cause old belt broke what do u suggest

S

Shawn dekle

Quick question if my timing belt broke how do I find tdc without the belt on before tackling the water pump