Lewis

Staff member

The following thread should explain how we set up the Toyota 1GR-FE Timing Chain marks after re-installing the heads or performing engine work.

The first tip is that we know which Bank is #1 and which Bank is #2. Here is a reference...

i-sWMrFDd-L.jpg

There are three timing chains on these 1GR-FE engines. The first two are for the exhaust/intake camshaft timing. The last chain is the main cam/crank timing chain and is set up much like a timing belt.

Lets look at bank 1 Cam to Cam chain and look at the marks. This view would be from the back side of the gears.

i-qnPG5f9.jpg

Here's a look at the marks installed on the engine...

i-CRQnGsc-L.jpg

i-LgzkqLp-M.jpg

i-qrc3f76-M.jpg

i-xM9s6fd-M.jpg

i-CfRWRpc-M.jpg

Did you notice the "extra" notch in the picture above? *(Just to the right on the yelllow arrows) This notch is used for the main cam/crank timing chain. Here is a pic showing them lined up...

i-kfLdszh-M.jpg

The Bank 2 side doesn't have this extra mark and is lined up as usual...

i-9Snhqwx.jpg

i-M7cj5vq.jpg

Now when setting up the main cam/crank timing chain, this is what it will look like...

Bank 1

i-3sVSMZz-L.jpg

i-MhBhG8F-L.jpg

Bank 2

i-6zqSM5f-L.jpg

i-XgcJGFs-L.jpg

and the Crank Gear Marks....

i-L47Qw7s-L.jpg

S

steve fisher

Does anyone have torque specs for a 2007 toyota tundra 4.0 i'm doing a timing chain set so I need everything related to that. thank you

T

t2u

Sir:

It appears that your last two photos of bank 2 are not correct. You can see that both intake and exhaust lobes are in the down position.

I'd be willing to bet you used the photos you took when you aligned both cam sprockets with the single dot in the back; instead of the double dot on the intake cam sprocket and the single dot on the exhaust cam sprocket.

The photos of bank 2 before those to last photos of bank 2 are correct.

Didn't think anyone would catch that, did ya?

Lewis

Staff member
Didn't think anyone would catch that, did ya?
Uh...not really. Good catch though. Heck, I didn't see it till you mentioned it. It looks like I took different pics at different times in this repair procedure process. The repair is the same, first setup and install the cam chains then setup the main timing chain so this should still suffice for overall help. I will try to get some better shots next time I get a hold of a 1gr job. Thanks again.

E

Eddie S

Hi, the reason I am hear is because my Tundra SR5 2006 4.0l would not crank. I tried a range on the freed crank shaft, but it did not give.
Is this why you are changing, adjusting timing chain?