1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Share it!! Hit that Like Button! Tweet It!!

2010-2014 Prius Excessive Oil Consumption on 2ZR-FXE Engine

Discussion in 'Tech Help' started by Lewis, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Lindsey

Lindsey Guest

2013 Prius. I got an oil change at 68,500. Went in at 73k and they said it was completely dry. My husband asked them if he could keep a sample of the oil to perform a test to check for engine damage and they said there wasn't even enough oil in there to take a sample... The service guys at Toyota didn't even know about the problem. I am going to tell them after reading this thread.

2. Lindsey

Lindsey Guest

Just called the 1-800 number for Toyota and opened a case. Everyone else should do this too! Ridiculous that they've had this problem before with other model cars and aren't trying to fix it yet with the prius. They did offer a warranty enhancement for the other models, so hopefully if enough people complain, they'll do that with the prius.

3. tvpierce

tvpierce Guest

Don't count on it. It took a lawsuit for Toyota to extend the warranty last time.

I agree though that it's still a good idea to call and open up a ticket -- if for no other reason than to have it documented.

4. JimPrius

JimPrius Guest

2010 Prius owner here. The Prius is burning 7.5qts between 5000mi oil changes.

Do we need to start a class action lawsuit against Toyota?

I'm concerned that the Camry oil consumption warranty extension only went to 150K miles. My Prius is approaching that now. Should I stop driving it regularly?

Also, have people tried different oil types and viscosities to see if it helps?